News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regiment Help

I am looking through my grandads statement of service from WW2 (he was KIA in Italy 1944). I am a bit baffled as to what regiment he was in.

He was transferred to the 2/4 KOYLI just 2 months before he died but I can't seem to fathom out the regiments he was in before. They are listed as

9th AA Res ( Assuming 9th Anti Aircraft Reserves) 14/10/41

66/80th LAA Regt 25/10/41

471/80 Lt AA 19/02/42

2/4 Bn KOYLI 01/06/1944

Is Lt AA Light Anti Aircraft?

I presumed that in the KOYLI he died as an an infantry man (Gemmano Sept 1944) , but could it be possible that he was in a Lt AA group attached to the KOYLI (seems a bit odd spending 3 years in the artillery to be switched over to infantry??)

Hopefully somebody can help

Rich

80th Light Anti-Aircraft Regt, R.A.(T.A.)[b]

6/8/1941 - Formed at the Manor, Hamble, Hampshire with 66th Bty(formerly with 47th LAA Regt); 76th Bty(formerly with 46th LAA Regt) & 295th Bty.

5/9/1941 - 295 Bty made up to four 'troops' by absorbing 4th Troop, 95th Bty, 48th LAA Regt.

19/2/1942 - 471st Bty added to unit.

24/10/1942 - 76th Bty disbanded.

1/6/1944 - 80th LAA Regt, R.A.(T.A.) disbanded with all batteries(66; 295 & 471) in the Middles East.

It appears to have been common practice during WWII, that as German airpower waned, British AA units were either disbanded to reinforce other artillery units or converted to infantry.

2/4th Bn, K.O.Y.L.I. served with 138th Infantry Bde from 3/9/1939 - 16/5/1940 & 20/6/1940 - 31/8/1945.

138th Bde rejoined 46th Division from 26/1/1944 - 31/8/1945 and they were in Italy from 2/7/1944 - 28/1/1945.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Thanks for the link but I have already checked the site and this time last year went to visit his grave in Italy. However, since then I have been trying to document his army life and as a result obtained his service records. I just feel that If I don't get all his details documented his memory and actions will be forgotten. As it stands it is flippin difficult to find documents/books on the gothic line. I had to buy an excellent book from Italy about the battle for Gemmano (where he died).

Thanks again though!!

Rich