News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information on Victorian-era Buttons

I've never had this fully explained to me, and I hope that some of the forum members can provide me with some information on this topic.

I've heard that buttons went from numerical types to patterned types (i.e. the logo or badge of the unit) after the Childers reforms for most regiments. But I also know that the Guards had patterned types from the Napoleonic period on.

Can anyone explain when what regiments adopted patterned buttons? I've also heard of even more confusing things, such as when people try to say that Highland units were 'elite' and got patterned buttons in the Napoleonic period as well.

~TS

Buttons just didn't change overnight from numbered to regimental, they evolved over a period of time, because in 1855 a new pattern tunic was adopted in which the new pattern brass button was also introduced which included both regimental number and in many cases devices which were historically connected to the regiment concerned.

Previous to this buttons for other ranks had been of plain backed pewter, while officers were either of gilt or silver metal. The face was usually die-stamped with a non-regimental design, but in 1767 regulations were introduced which ordered that the number of each regiment of Foot and Dragoons should be placed upon buttons. During the same year regiments of Dragoon Guards were ordered to carry the initial of their regiment upon their buttons.

The buttons remained flat, but convex faced buttons were eventually taken into wear, which by 1820-1830 were replaced by convex closed back buttons. By 1881 all buttons for regiments with the exception of the Household Cavalry, Cavalry of the Line, Royal Regt of Artillery, Corps of Royal Engineers, Foot Guards, Rifles, Departments and Corps, had taken into wear the universal pattern button, which bore the "Royal Arms" only.

In 1924 buttons of a purely regimental pattern with no numbers were introduced for were by all ranks in gilt for officers and brass for other ranks. While plain buttons were adopted by the following Hussar Regiments;-

3rd Kings Own

4th Queens Own Hussars

7th Queens Own Hussars

13th Hussars

18th Royal Hussars

13/18th Royal Hussars(QMO).

This only covers the Regular Army and not the Militia or Rifle Volunteers.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart