News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unit ID help on discs

Hello all,

I'm after some help with these ID tags which I picked up the other day.

The large one is unusual for me as I've never seen a I've seen anything like it before. I'm having trouble working out the unit as it looks different on both tags.

The large one looks like 2. ERB. 44 6/372 N. 297

The smaller one appears have IRB. 44 scratched into the surface

In which unit did he serve and could one of these tags have been worn during his pre-war conscription, the other when he volunteered or was called up at the start of the Great War?

Thanks

Tony

• 5 months later...

Hi,

What a strange dog tag !

First, this soldier leaved in Steinhagen (Westphalie).

On the large ID tag, there is two assignments and I think we have to read like that :

2. Er. B. 44 : 2 Ersatz Bataillon (replacement bataillon), Infanterie Regiment n? 44 (2d Division, 1st Army Corps - Eastern Prussia).

6/372 : 6 Kompagnie, Infanterie Regiment n? 372 (10th Landwehr Division, 1st Army Corps).

It is possible that this soldier was called up into the JR 44 at the beginning of the war. Then he came into the JR 372 (same Army Corps, this regiment was formed in 1916). The small ID tag is certainly his first dog tag.

Stephan

Thanks Stephan.

I actually bought the tags from the soldier's great grandson in Steinhagen. Heinrich Landwehr survived the war, he died in the early 60s. The family didn't have any photos of him in uniform and told me they found the tags amongst some rubbish in the cellar of the old family home which was only a few km away.

Tony

Guest Rick Research

I don't "see" anything in those jumbled pin whackings for the unit at all, so :cheers: to you both.

There was a Brigade Ersatz Battalion 44 in the composite 10th Ersatz Division in 1914 and THAT may be the Westphalian connection.

There was a Brigade Ersatz Battalion 44 in the composite 10th Ersatz Division in 1914 and THAT may be the Westphalian connection.

Exactly. But the Brigade Ersatz Bataillonen are usually noted B.E.B. or Br.E.B. and I don't see that on this tag. But perhaps you're right.

Tony, do you have a photo or scan of the small ID tag ?

Stephan