News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Eagle to a Romanian officer

Here is an image of the award certificate of (then) Major Paul Cernovodeanu who received the Order of the Red Eagle on 15 September 1914. Click on the image for the full image from "La Galerie...".

paulcernovodeanuma4.jpg

Can someone provide a translation of the text? Thank you.

Guest Rick Research

Typical of awards from any country to any foreigners, he received a "courtesy increase" of a full class here-- being decorated with the 3rd Class rather than the 4th class any German Major would have gotten.

The text is the standard "boilerplate" used on almost all Prussian award documents =

By command of His Majesty the King

attests the General-Commission in Matters of the

Royal Prussian Orders hereby, that His Majesty

upon (rank, name, and position of the recipient)

the (printed Order and its class being presented)

has been pleased to bestow. In testimonial

thereof this Certificate under our signature

and seal has been drawn up.

Berlin on the (date)

General-Commission in Matters of the Royal

Prussian Orders

(printed "signature" of Graf Kanitz)

(file numbers)

Typical of awards from any country to any foreigners, he received a "courtesy increase" of a full class here-- being decorated with the 3rd Class rather than the 4th class any German Major would have gotten.

The text is the standard "boilerplate" used on almost all Prussian award documents =

Thanks Rick. My attention was attracted by the date on the certificate, i.e., after WWI had begun, and I wondered whether the text could shed some light upon the reasons of the award.

Guest Rick Research

No, it's just the same on virtually all Prussian Order documents: there is never any citation. Sometimes, in the cover letter, there might be something along with the "enclosed are the decoration with document, please return the enclosed receipt."

No, it's just the same on virtually all Prussian Order documents: there is never any citation. Sometimes, in the cover letter, there might be something along with the "enclosed are the decoration with document, please return the enclosed receipt."

That's it then. Thanks again.