News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi!

This time I am searching any little bit about Obermatrose G. Auer (at least that was his rank in 1904). He is the alleged author of "In Southwestafrica against the Herero" though I didn't find anything about him in Freiburg. I am suspicious about this book as I have read at least one so called "eye witness account" that is an obvious fake or some sort of of compilation.

Thanks!

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I found some other clues in his alleged book and Obermatrose G. Auer.

He is supposed to have been on board the gunboat "Habicht" which left Kiel on the 10th of October 1903. Instead of being returned to the "Habicht" in May 1904 he stayed with several other shipmates in SWA, namely in Karibib. He fell ill (Malaria) and was transferred to the hospital in Okahandya. He returned aboard the Lulu Bohlen and arrived in Wilhelmshaven the 7th of April 1905.

He doesn't seem to have received any medals.

There is at least one "fake" stories in the book, which I know from other accounts but which has been altered to fit "his" story. I am not sure whether this means the book is a compilation of the official material released or whether it is written under a pseudonym or whether it was done to brag.

As always I would be very thankful for any hint toward this particular person.