News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I picked this up a couple of years ago from a dealer in London. It's not maker marked, and isn't flat-backed either (die cast scoop-backed I think). The closest I've been able to approximate it from the various badges shown on here is to the maker EWE (dond posted a bronze one a couple of years back). There isn't much grass under the tank which I'm also led to believe is a characteristic of this maker.

Grateful for any view!

Cheers

Edited by Staff Sgt Jock MacSplock

I can't match it to any of the ones I've ever seen. The aging looks artificial and the catch doesn't look right. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I'm going to say repro.

Sorry.

Hi guys,

Jock, I have to agree with Don here, my feeling is that it is a repro also. The material and ageing look artificial. The metal the badge is made of looks like a mix between nickel silver and zink. Details on the obverse are weak. I specifically do not like the looks of the hinge. Hinge looks like something you would find on a zink badge, but the catch (without a catch plate) is something you would find on a nickel silver or tombak badge.

Philippe DeBock on the GermanCombatAwards.com forum is writing a book on these and is the most knowledgable PAB collection by far, I would register there and post it up for his opinion.

Tom

Thanks Guys.

I've been unable to find a match either and there's definitely something funny about the tarnish (which I'm pretty sure has "developed" in the time that I've had it). The front looks like an EWE, but there's no makers mark on the back and, like you say, the catch and hinge are a bit "odd".

Best bet is to sell it back to him I think, and given that he sold it to me on the basis that "they don't come much better than this" I'm sure he won't have a problem getting such a "star" piece back .....

:cheers:

Jock

Edited by Staff Sgt Jock MacSplock