News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Curaissier Sword With 1896 Named Presentation

Rick..

Awhhhhh .. are you not having a hard time sleeping at night? :unsure: wondering and wondering in the dark .... maybe it is an "8" as Rod thinks, or geessshh a "6" as the seller to poor ole Rod said???? Hummmmm ... sort of hard to leave a job that only your expert opinion is of value??? Actually this is a small thing :blush: ... but then again rather important to Rod...... have mercy Rick!!!!! ;) Your opinion is not only for important for Rod but for posterity!!!!! Sure it is a difficult call... but that is why your opinion is crucial!!! :catjava: The world awaits your answer!!!

Rod

Edited by Rod

Guest Rick Research

But I can't SEE it. You're lucky I got "v Pfistermeister" out of that! :cheeky:

(My WW1 Awards Rolls Books have just arrived my babies :love: are in print and TODAY, NOW, I can handle my very own Works In Print... gotta sign off now....)

Rick..

WELL ... it is an eight (*) and that is my story and I am sticking to it!!! ha ha :D

Honestly, I have looked at it in a very subdued light and it really is an eight (8) and I do thank you for your help. I almost sent this sword back to the seller but I am now glad to keep it!!!

You are a JEWEL!!!! Many thanks.

Rod

WElllll ..... I am more than sure you all will heave a sigh of relief when I get another "toy" to play with and comment on ... BUT I must add this in..

Remember when it was observed that the family crest on the pommel nut is reversed (a mirror image) ???? which seems that it is intended to be used as a "stamp" (wax?). WEEELL ... it now seems be me the nut is intended to be tightened to an "upside down" position .. that is when looking from the rear with the handle up and the knuckle guard down. It could be further turned to a "right side up" position (as received) but to me that places undue strain on the threads on the tang which by the way are provided by a brass sleeve which could pull off the tang. When I thought further about it .. the only (safe) way the stamp crest could be used would be to hold the sword by the handle as you normally would and then stamp down with the heel of your hand .... thus reversed and upside down!!! ha ha :P .

Yes Yes I know I must have too much time on my hands and need to move on.. :speechless: ..... all this may be much ado about nothing but I would like to keep the sword as designed.

Apologies to all and hopeful for comments?????????

Rod :blush:

Edited by Rod

Guest Rick Research

No-- really.

I have never seen what the result would be. I don't know if they used these on hot sealing wax or on, um, Fatty Personal Tissue. Must have embossed SOMETHING soft enough to take the impression.

Perhaps some who has a sword with an engraved crest ( reverse and upside down) on the nut pommel would comment ..... ????

Sort of sounds authoriantive huh??? :speechless1:

Hummmm ... wish we had a spell checker ... ha ha

Rod

Edited by Rod