News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals to other ranks

The following article from BBC discusses award of the MC to other ranks. I was unaware that criteria had been expanded from the officers-only approach. When did this happen. Is it also true for the DSC, DSO, DFC, AFC? And what does that mean for the MM?

Best,

Hugh

Gallantry medals for Scots troops _44474345_lcpldonaldcampbell203.jpg Donald Campbell helped shore up a ditch under heavy fireA Scottish soldier is to receive the second highest award for gallantry for his actions in Afghanistan.

L/Cpl Donald Campbell from South Uist drove a tractor into an enemy zone while under fire to shore up a ditch, allowing his colleagues to cross.

He will be awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for his bravery.

Lance Bombardier Michael Frew, from Dundee, will also be honoured with a Military Cross after saving the lives of his fellow troops in Afghanistan.

The 26-year-old father-of-two sprinted across a bridge, which the Army described as a "killing zone," to take on the enemy and allow his team to pass.

L/Cpl Campbell, 26, from the Royal Engineers said: "I was very shocked and very surprised at the award and still am.

"I come from the island of South Uist and when I phoned my mum, I don't think she really knew what it was about.

"I was driving a front-loader, a big civilian tractor with a load of fascines in the bucket and I drove forward under fire to the ditch, but before I could unload, I had to jump out and cut the bindings, the Taliban were shooting, then I had to get back under cover.

"At the time I knew that it was something that had to be done and I just thought that it was a good idea."

_44474343_lbdrmichaelfrew203.jpg Michael Frew ran across a bridge to hold the enemy back

Lance Bombardier Frew said he was shocked when he heard about the award but was looking forward to receiving it from the Queen later in the year.

"I had no idea why the Commanding Officer had called me in," he said.

"I was very surprised and was not expecting it.

"My parents were really chuffed when I told them about the award, they said well done. My wife Victoria was really pleased as well."

Bombardier Paul Greenwood, who is a colleague of Lance Bombardier Frew in the Highland Gunners, will also be receiving a Military Cross. He ran through a torrent of enemy fire to collect essential ammunition while he was supporting the Afghan National Army.

Hi Hugh, As a result of the 1993 Review of gallantry awards and resultant changes to the operational gallantry award system, the Military Cross was made available to both officers and other ranks, the Military Medal was discontinued.

:beer:

Geoff.

Hi Hugh, As a result of the 1993 Review of gallantry awards and resultant changes to the operational gallantry award system, the Military Cross was made available to both officers and other ranks, the Military Medal was discontinued.

:beer:

Geoff.

Thanks, Geoff, Any data on possible similar changes to DSC, DSO, DFC, AFC?

Any data on possible similar changes to DSC, DSO, DFC, AFC?

All ranks can get these

The DSO is given for leadership only (non-combat related), the DSO is open to all ranks

Gone are the MM, DCM, DFM, AFM, DSM, CGM

There are no more officer only or enlisted only awards

This is Pvt Michelle Norris - RAMC who won the MC in Iraq, she is a medic

Edited by David S

All ranks can get these

The DSO is given for leadership only (non-combat related), the DSO is open to all ranks

Gone are the MM, DCM, DFM, AFM, DSM, CGM

There are no more officer only or enlisted only awards

This is Pvt Michelle Norris - RAMC who won the MC in Iraq, she is a medic

Nice change, probably overdue.