News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Khalifa House Museum in Omdurman

The Khalifa Abdullah was the successor to the Mahdi and his house has been converted into a museum of the Mahdiya period. The building is a two-story set-up and has a series of linked courtyards. There are a variety of various items on display and they include weapons, coins, medals and other artifacts that are from this very fascinating era. Requests to have glass cabinets unlocked for better photographs were not successfull and will be referred to a committee for deliberation and decision. I will attempt to illustrate and highlight items which may be of interest to this forum. The house is located opposite to the Mahdi's tomb in Omdurman. It is very easy to locate and is on the well-known routes or attractions in the area.

The first car in Sudan which belonged to the Governor General. It appears more to look like a cart with its solid wheels than a car. This photograph was taken in the courtyard.

Nordenveldt machine gun captured at the Battle of Shaykan on 5 November 1883, south of El-Obeid, when a force of approximately 11000 Egyptian soldiers under the command of General William Hicks was annihilated by the Mahdi's forces.

Guest IMHF

Man thoose are Beautiful: Wish you had a better view of General Gordon's portrait Wearing his Orders....

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Hi Lorenzo,

The museum is not very user friendly regarding photographs and the dusty conditions and cabinets do not help either. It is quite a well known portrait of General Gordon and I am sure it is available on the internet. I have applied to the museum committee for them to open the showcases for better and more detail photographs so I await the outcome in great anticipation. Each room and courtyard has a dedicated security official supervising matters and they tend to be very strict.

Regards,

Will

Guest IMHF

I have a book with his picture on the inside of the first few pages:

Chinese Gordon

By Archibald Forbes

1884 General Gordon

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Guest IMHF
    Bio of Charles George Gordon: A Succinct Record of His Life

Edited by IMHF