News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

last Austro-Hungarian WWI dies

I heard late last night on the radio that the last K.u K. veteran of WW1 died aged 107. I did not catch his name but I am sure someone can fill in with more details. He was born in present day Romania and served in the last few months of the War. I gather he was known as the Emperors last soldier.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Paul

Franz K?nstler

Born on the 24. 07. 1900 in Soost, (now in Romania.)

Died ? 27. 05. 2008, in Niederstetten, Germany,

a German of Hungarian descent and former soldier of the Imperial and Royal Austro-Hungarian Army,

was the last surviving soldier who fought with the Central Power's armies in WWI in Europe.

He died on the 27 05 2008 from the results of a medical procedure.

Franz K?nstler, born in the "German" city of Soost in the then - Hungary in 1900,

He served from early February 1918, till the end of the war in the 1st Artillery Regiment

of Austro-Hungarian army, nine months before the end of the war.

He fought on the Italian front.and saw combat in Italy.

He also served in WWII and fought in the Ukraine. Afterwards, it was impossible for him to return to Hungary.

He became a (Hunting) museum's guide in his new hometown in Southern Germany.

He was married to Elisabeth K?nstler for more than 60 years and outlived her by 27 years.

Even till his final days, he took care of his life on his own.

According to his own words, it was his dream to become 110 years old. "Then I can go to hell",

he said in an interview with a German magazine only some weeks ago.

With the death of the last surviving Turkish WWI veteran in April, 2008

K?nstler had become the last living man who was a soldier in the Great War on the Central Power's side.

May he + Rest In Peace +

Kevin in Deva.