News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

G.I. Jane-- "Doughgirl" Just Doesn't SOUND Good

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This is Myrtle Dix, called out of civilian nurse duty probably past 40 to go to the front as a U.S. army nurse in 1917.

This is presumably a government issue straw hat. Note the plain buttons.

Even altering the sepia to BnW I can't amke out what is on her left jacket lapel outside of the bronze U.S. insignia. Presumaly it is a medical branch caduceus, like the one on her shirt collar. Notice that the insignia are ONLY on her left, and not worn as matched pairs!!! She had at least 1 year of overseas service.

One cannot help but wonder why only the left side for insignia . . .

No ribbons . . . only the overseas stripes

Here's something interesting . . . same uniform (sort of) and hat, insignia on both collars

http://www.e-anca.org/bios/Thompson.htm

Further looking shows that the insignia is a caduceus with a ANC intwined . . . and this uniform is the second version

http://history.amedd.army.mil/ANCWebsite/anchhome.html

click on the lefthand menu for uniforms

Edited by David S

Guest Rick Research

:cheers:

Some sort of rank distinction? Myrtle doesn't look like the sort of gal who'd have given away half her insignia for souvenirs.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here's another example of female uniform-- NO clue what this represents, since she is completely devoid of insignia save for the ? non-regulation sprig of flowers on her G.I. hat:

• 1 month later...

The material is identical to the soldier's uniform.

True, but it doesn't look like any uniform I have ever seen, especially with that row of buttons on the skirt of the jacket. And that doesn't look like any uniform hat I have ever seen. Generally, it looks a lot like what you could see in women's fashion magazines of the period. I think it's civilian clothing. Doc

Guest Rick Research

I don't think anybody's ever studied women's uniforms from the Great War.

I remember as a teenager at a giant national flea market, somebody dumping out an entire trunk of American Red Cross nurse's uniforms-- blue and khaki-- including all her (ahem) undergarments--medieval looking corsets, bloomers, detachable celluloid collars.... The seller was cheerfully flogging the huge empty trunk to a buyer uninterested in any of the clothing.

The YWCA also had khaki uniforms.

Try finding 1918 ladies military (ahem) underpinnings these days! :rolleyes: