News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Damascus "Marked" blades

Rod,

Interesting question.

The only place I have seen any markings on naval dirks denoting damascus has been on the tang under the grip. Then again not all are so marked. Often they just have the smith's stamp.

Have you checked Wittman's Naval dagger book?

Tony

• 1 month later...
    • 2 years later...

Rod:

Just noticed this question. Based on Imperial daggers I have looked at Carl Eickhorn is stamped DAMAST. WKC occasionally has Echter Damascener on the blade, see Wittmann p101. I have not seen a marked Carl Kaiser tang, but I have not seen them all. Of course the tangs show other numberings and are numbered to the butt plate.

Also initials of Damast smiths are also seen.

Right now in 2011 Damascus blades on 3rd Reich daggers are a minefield as they are being reproduced. Imperial stuff is also being reproduced so you must study damascus blades. Keep a firm grip on your cash.

The Imperial Auto/Aero daggers are also being completely reporduced. The ultra rare AERO Corps etched blade is turning up everywhere.

Vic

Edited by Vic Diehl

Rod:

One thing to remember about Imperial navy blade tangs, they just about all show some kind of grinding to fit the ivory handles, so many markings get lost. Assembly numbers are done over the grinding so they are generally strong.

Vic

Edited by Vic Diehl