News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Cross in Silver question

A quick question for those among us with more German research sources than I. Can anyone tell me if there was a German Cross in Silver recipient called Gustaz Roeder (also spelt Roder on some documents) ? I believe he was a WWI recalled veteran who received the German Cross in silver on 1st May 1945 but want to double check whether or not this is correct.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Guest Rick Research

Army--nope. Luftwaffe--nope.

What form of document is it? Can you post some scans? Those other documents, too. Anything WW1 that would help place him for origins?

That's the "dangerous" period, when things MIGHT have gotten lost in the shuffle... or been completely improper "local awards" like Oberleutnant Soundso awarding Knight's Crosses in July 1945.

Guest Rick Research

Couldn't ask for nicer autographs. The ill-fated Carl-Heinrich von St?lpnagel in "gloriously Nazi" Paris--on the very EVE of the catastrophe at Stalingrad when everything turned against the Thousand Year Reich-- and what a contrast in the two places on the same night!

As I suspected, Siegfried Westphal slapped out a nice POW Camp consolation prize. Paper only, de facto but not de jure.

Very nice group after all! :jumping: :jumping:

Price agreed and I should shortly have more than 30 documents, his German Cross in Silver and a post war Federal Republic of Germany Merit Cross 1st Class to him in my collection. When I finally have them I will post pictures in a thread here since I am sure they will yield a fascinating story. Among the documents are handwritten letters about his career from the family so it should be a little treasure trove.