News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For the past few months I have been researching my grandfather's military service in WW1 and have pretty much learned most of the details. There is only one bit of information that I am lacking and hope someone on this forum can help. I'm hoping to get some info about where he may have been held as a POW toward the end of the war.

He served with the 79th Division AEF, 316th Infantry, Co. B and was captured on Nov 4, 1918 at the battle at LaBorne de Cornoulier. His official military record states that he was "returned from German prison, camp unknown" and he was released to the 40th Division AEF sometime between Nov 14-20, 1918. In the History of the 79th Division account of the actions that day it states that 2 companies of German infantry captured the 20 or so men of Co B who survived the battle and that the prisoners were "hurried off to the northward".

I thought that by researching what units were involved in the battle, I might be able to find out where these men were taken and held until the end of the war. My grandfather told his family that they were held in the basement of a church, probably in France, but he didn't know where it was.

I've heard that since it was near the end of the war, the information is very limited. The "Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army 1914-1918" didn't provide any clues and I've checked some German sites but since I only took 1 semester of German in high school, I'm kind of lost.

I know that what I'm looking for might be impossible, but thought that maybe some of the members might be able to help. Any suggestions or information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated,

Cherie

He served with the 79th Division AEF, 316th Infantry, Co. B and was captured on Nov 4, 1918 at the battle at LaBorne de Cornoulier. His official military record states that he was "returned from German prison, camp unknown" and he was released to the 40th Division AEF sometime between Nov 14-20, 1918. In the History of the 79th Division account of the actions that day it states that 2 companies of German infantry captured the 20 or so men of Co B who survived the battle and that the prisoners were "hurried off to the northward".

I thought that by researching what units were involved in the battle, I might be able to find out where these men were taken and held until the end of the war. My grandfather told his family that they were held in the basement of a church, probably in France, but he didn't know where it was.

Cherie

Cherie,

The 79th Division were engaged with the 32nd Division near Montfaucon during the first part of the Meuse-Argonne. During the third phase of the M.A., the 79th was shifted eastwards and across the Meuse River.

The "heights of the Meuse" where the Borne de Cornoulier is/was located, was primarily held by AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN troops of the 106th Infantry Regiment. On the 4th of November, Austria formally withdrew from the war, and A-H units on the western front began withdrawing from their positions that day. German units took over the positions from the Austrians.

If as you say, your grandfather was captured on the 4th, he may have been picked up by A-H troops of the 106th (there was another A-H in the immediate area also) and then turned over to German troops the same day.

I'll need a day or two to check my references (in temporary storage but easily accessible) and I'll get back to you on what German units were on the 79th Division front and on the Heights of the Meuse at that time. If I don't get back to you within a few days, feel free to send me a PM and give me a reminder/nudge.

Les

Cherie,

Though you may be able to pin down with some certainty which unit captured or held your grandfather, the basement where he was being held was most likely a temporary site, maybe spur of the moment or maybe an assembly place before prisoners were sent on to established camps. While you might gain a little more background information, looking for this church might be like looking for a needle in a haystack when you don't know where the haystack is. You may just have to settle for "he was held somewhere behind the front in the area of......". Good luck with your search.

Chip

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know that the area was held by Austro-Hungarian units. I'll look forward to hearing what you find in your references.

Unfortunately, I think I goofed in the way I expressed myself in my original post. Although I'd love to know exactly where my grandfather was held, I realize that's next to impossible. My main focus is to hopefully find out what unit captured him and maybe the area he was held. If, by some miracle, I can pin down more, that would be icing on the cake! But I'm just looking for enough to fill in the blanks of his service history. He rarely spoke about his service, just little bits. None of his children or grandchildren ever had any idea of the battles he was a part of but I think it's important to find out what he (& all other soldiers) went through. That's why I hope to get as much as possible.

Sorry that I didn't express it correctly in my post and I do appreciate all suggestions and replies. This is a terrific forum that has already taught me a lot by reading all the information posted my the members. Thanks again,

Cherie

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know that the area was held by Austro-Hungarian units. I'll look forward to hearing what you find in your references.

Unfortunately, I think I goofed in the way I expressed myself in my original post. Although I'd love to know exactly where my grandfather was held, I realize that's next to impossible. My main focus is to hopefully find out what unit captured him and maybe the area he was held. If, by some miracle, I can pin down more, that would be icing on the cake! But I'm just looking for enough to fill in the blanks of his service history. He rarely spoke about his service, just little bits. None of his children or grandchildren ever had any idea of the battles he was a part of but I think it's important to find out what he (& all other soldiers) went through. That's why I hope to get as much as possible.

Sorry that I didn't express it correctly in my post and I do appreciate all suggestions and replies. This is a terrific forum that has already taught me a lot by reading all the information posted my the members. Thanks again,

Cherie

Going to check on this--Check on Google for regimental histories of the American Regiments during the way. I have seveal from the 32nd which all detail enemy units engaged.

I'm looking at my 32nd stuff to see what units might have been between the lines of American units involved in the fighting. Here however is a good start:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResu...giment+Infantry

Keep checking google books, sometimes you can download the division/regimental histories for free

Also:

http://www.thedigitalbookshelf.us/db_79_2.htm

Edited by Chris Liontas

Chris,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I do have a copy of the 316th Regimental History but unfortunately it doesn't list any of the enemy units. The History of the 79th Division lists some units believed to be involved but the little info I've found so far say that those units were not at Meuse Argonne. Here are the ones listed in the 79th History: 192nd German Division, 20th German Div, 1st Landwehr Div and the 228th German Div. The only one I've found that may have been there is the 228th but I haven't found any other info that unit.

As you suggested, I think I might start researching some of the other American Divisions involved to see what enemy units are listed in their histories.

Thanks for your help,

Cherie