News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identifying awards to WWII Generals and Admirals or others

I have noticed that there are many posts with pictures of high ranking WWII German Generals or Admirals wearing their ribbon bars and asking for am ID of the ribbons. There is a very easy solution to this. As most Generals or Admirals were in during the 1902's and the Reichwehr ranklists show WWI awards you can determine what the awards and ribbons are by getting a 1902's Reichwehr ranklist. You ask how can I get one and at what price. Well I know a very enterprising individual who ask reprinted the 1924 Reichwehr Ranklist and is selling it for $29.95 + postage. If you want one just ask me.

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately, some people would rather be handed a fish than learn how to fish.

Likewise, in this modern age of instantly available data, some people think they are entitled to endless free information on constant demand without the effort of doing their own work.

I have noted that these requests generally use PIRATE websites where the entire content of copyrighted books whose author is still alive have simply been stolen. Herr Hildebrand deserves better. You obtained his permission :cheers: to reprint his ground-breaking and equally invaluable "Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine 1939-1945" which is ALSO a fundamentally basic HOME reference library volume.

Herr Hildebrand's admirals and generals biographical books can be bought as well, from any of the usual German dealers.

Hans H. Hildebrand & Ernest Henriot, authors--

All published by Biblio Verlag of Osnabr?ck in the year following each volume

"Deutschalnds Admirale 1849-1945: Band 1 A-G" (1988) ISBN 3-7648-1499-3

Band 2 H-O (1989) ISBN 3-7648-1499-3

Band 3 P-Z (1990) ISBN 3-7648-1499-3

Band 4 Marinebeamte im Admiralsrang (1996) ISBN 3-7648-2483-2

Karl Friedrich Hildebrand, author--

All published by Biblio Verlag again

"Die Generale der deutschen Luftwaffe 1935-1945: Band 1 Abernetty-von Gyldenfeldt" (1990) ISBN 3-7648-1700-3

Band 2 Habermehl-Nuber (1991) ISBN 3-7648-1701-1

Band 3 Odebrecht-Zoch (1992) ISBN 3-7648-1701-1

Any serious German researcher

and I repeat

SERIOUS

will have these books for his or theoretically her own home libraries.

There are also an endless series of Biblio books ongoing for Army generals, which I do not have and thus cannot give ordering information for. Those too are readily available from German military books dealers.

In 2009 it is, frankly, shameful to use pirate sites rather than own in print reference books.

PARTICULARLY galling, since this has become an outlet for long pent up feelings of exploitation and disregard, is the huge amount of money spent on such things by people who nonethelss expect free answers to obvious, readily available questions.

It's EXTREMELY annoying and discourteous to POOR Living Authors and struggling commercial and private publishers. :shame:

One is reminded--one is, oh one is--of the endless tedium and effort to produce never before seen WW1 award rolls and German military/political Seniority Lists by active members here whose "reward" is... simply unending additional demands for FREE DATA.

Frankly, my dears, people who spend 4-figures over and over and over again but can not be "bothered' to buy essential 2-digit books by authors getting 1-digit returns, wellllllll

BUY THE BOOKS.

BUY THE CDs.