News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unit ID of German Captain-WWII Portrait

This is one of my family heirlooms. I appologize for the image qualities. They are photos of photos. I need to invest in a good scanner. The first photo is of my grand-uncle, Wilhelm Zipp during WWII. He was a Captain in the infantry and served as a garrison commander of a village (unknown) in France. The second photo is of him riding his mount in a collumn (notice infantryman marching behind). From what I can make out on the original photo, the number on his shoulder board is 106. His Wehrmacht unit was made an SS Reserve unit at the end of the war from what I've been told by my aunts and uncles. He had to go through de-Nazification under the Americans before his release as a POW and had dificulty obtaining work for a while after the war. What may help in identifying his ribbon bar is that he also fought in WWI on the Russian front. In WWI he served with the 3. Garde-Feld-Artl.-Regt. Berlin. For additional photos of him in WWI and WWII, see my album (fackerman64). Any help would be appreciated.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1234875133.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1234875322.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Date and place of birth?

The uniform is of Infantry Regiment 106, 15th Division, IX Army Corps. He was obviously either a reserve officer or had been called back up z.V. since the third ribbon on his bar is a 25 years civil service Treudienst Cross. Cannot tell from the size what the final ribbon is-- possibly 1936 Olympics.

A transfer from artillery in WW1 to infantry in WW2 would be MOST peculiar.

Not knowing whether he was a regular during the First War or a reservist, all I can say is that the only REGULAR named Zipp was demobilized from Rhenish Inf Rgt 28 as a char. Oberleutnant aD-- which would fit with someone recalled zV as a Hauptmann in WW2.

What was he in civil life-- and where did he work? If in Berlin, the city street directories are online and will have him by name and job title.

There is nothing else to go on here.

I looked at the pictures in your album - Rick is right, Wilhelm Zipp was in the Infantry during WWI. The Zipp in the 3. Garde-Feld-Artl.-Regt. was Otto Zipp.

If you could post larger scans of the images below and anything that might be written on the back we could perhaps find out more

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-1062-1234893029.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-1062-1234893085.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-1062-1234893618.jpg

Edited by Naxos

I made a mistake in stating that Wilhelm Zipp was with the 3 Garde Artillery. It was actually my grandfather's other brother, Heinrich Zipp that was in the artillery. My grandfather had two older brothers and an older sister. Wilhelm Zipp, shown in the photos, was born circa 1897-1898 in the Frankfurt a/M area based on their home address. Until 1917, they lived at Schumannstr. 67, Frankfurt a/M, Hesse, Germany. Circa 1917, they moved to Frankfurterstr. 174, Bad Vilbel, Hesse, Germany. My grandfather, born in 1910 and to whom the post cards were adressed, was about 7 years old when he recieved them. From what I could make out on the post card's stamp is that Wilhelm Zipp was with II. Battl. R... (this part was indistinguishable), Rgt. 224, 8. Kompanie (dated 20.3.1917) during WWI. The card was sent 18.3.1917. I'll try to post a scan of the back of the card.

This was actually a Feldpost postcard. Back in the day they often took portraits/photos and made postcards out of them. Thanks for any additional information.

Frank,

the Reserve Regiment 224 belonged to the 48th Reserve Division. In the begining of 1917 the Res.Rgt.224 left the 48th Reserve Division and joined the 215th Division.

Here is the History of the 48th Reserve Division:

Edited by Naxos

Many thanks to both Rick Research and Naxos for the information.

Rick, you mentioned a 25 years civil service Treudienst Cross on the ribbon bar. Would the following award have anything to do with that?

Naxos, from which book or reference did you obtain your posted passages?

Thanks again guys.

Rick Research, as far as the 1936 Olympics goes, my uncle did not participate as far as I know. The only other cross/Kreuz type medal or commemoration medal he recieved was this one, which I haven't been able to identify.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1235137067.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6247-1235137084.jpg

The front has a bust of Generalfeldmarschal V. Hindenburg and the reverse states "Gott Mit Uns" over what appears to be an Iron Cross.

The cross in Post 10 is for membership in a military Veterans Association in Frankfurt Am Main.

It is not issued by the military, the cross Ricky refers to was a III Reich award silver

with a black swastika in the centre and hangs from a Cornflower blue ribbon the same as Prussian

and Third Reich military service medals / crosses.

cropped image from a medal bar in my collection

The Hindenburg Medal is Patriotika, an unofficial award sold to raise money of the War campaign.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

What is the official name of the silver cross with the black Swastika in the center?

The title in German is, I believe as follows:-

Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen Kreuz, 2. Stufe f?r 25 Jahre.

Its basically a reward for good attendance and performance at your civil job,

time out / years serving the German military counted towards it as well.

It came in 3 grades, 50 years Cross with oak-leaves, seldom if ever actually awarded.

40 years, 1 st Class in Gold Gilt.

25 years, 2 nd Class in Silver Gilt.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

Treudienstkreuz and 1936 Olympics Merit Medal as seen on photo:

The 1936 Olympics Medal was not given for participation, but for merit towards the organization of the Games. This bar belonged to Amtsrat Heinrich Drews, whose job was in the Main Archive of the Prussian Staatsministerium in Berlin.

The only other possibility for the tiny blurry ribbon after your great uncle's Treudienstkreuz would be the Third Reich version of the cross given for 25 years as a career or volunteer fireman:

So: what did he do as a civil servant?

• 1 month later...

I finally found out what he did as a civil servant. I know it's been a while. He was a Justizbeamter. He worked for the Justice Department in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen. I don't know if he was a Baliff, Clerk of Courts or what though. Thanks again for all the info.