News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Carol I Order to Albanian ruler

On another thread we have been trying to identify the orders and decorations worn by Prince Wilhelm of Wied, briefly Sovereign Prince of Albania in 1914.

One Albanian source says that he was made a "Grand Commander" (2nd class??) of the Romanian Order of Carol I in 1911 or 1912.

Is there anyone out there who is able to verify this from any official source such as an appointment list or roll of the order?

It also appears from the photographs that he received the GC of the Order of the Star of Romania. Can this appointment and any other Romanian decorations be confirmed?

Prince Wilhelm was closely linked to Romania through his own connection with the late Queen Elisabeth 'Carmen Silva'. His wife was linked through her descent from the Catacuzino family of Moldavia and owned landed properties there. Indeed, the couple settled in Romania during the 1930's and became citizens, so they could have both received several Romanian decorations.

Cheers

James

Is there anyone out there who is able to verify this from any official source such as an appointment list or roll of the order?

As far as I know, the roll of the order has not been published. I presume information exists in the archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , since at that time the minister was also the Chancellor of Orders.