News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon Bars, Rosettes, and Wrapping Papers?

Dieter3

O.K., so totally new to collecting medals. Just starting to go over "Orders and Medals of Japan" book so perhaps the information I'm looking for is there and I have just missed it thus far, but I'm wondering about a few things.....

I'm wondering what constitutes a group of items for an award or medal. So, it certainly seems that you have the award or medal itself, the box it comes in, and a presentation document at the least.

What I have no clue about is:

1) Ribbon Bars - How were these issued? Were they also issued with the award or medal? Again, being so new to this I have yet to see samples enough to even know, but it seems they are rare to find with an actual medal - except in the case of the China Incident Medals, they don't seem uncommon to find with the medal.

2) Wrapping Papers - Again, looks common with the China Incident Medals, but I haven't seen these with others..... (?) This leads me to believe that most awards and medals did not have them, but for whatever reason, the CIM did????

3) Rosettes - Talking about the separate ones, not actually incorporated into a ribbon - I see these paired with certain orders or medals, and am uncertain of under what circumstances they were issued or to which orders they actually belong?? Were they simply issued as a matter of fact and simply lost over time??

Thank you Gents!!

Hello,

I'm not an expert here so I do not know the finer points of when ribbon bars, etc., were issued, but a 'complete' assembly of a medal and its parts may be the following:

1. Medal & case

2. Award document

3. Ribbon bar

4. Rosette

And the following may be added to enhance the medal:

5. Paper wrap (issued for many if not all of the medals and orders--at least the lower classes of orders)

6. Money award documents (when applicable, some medals and orders came with a stipend and some with a pension enhancement)

7. Other documents, for example:

7a. Smaller sized (but offically issued) documents that state why an order was given. 'For bravery in the China Incident, the 8th Class Rising Sun was awarded to --.'

7b. Official Japan Mint papers that stated what the medal was and sometimes to whom it was issued.

Note that #s 5 and 7b were meant to be disposable items, so having them may be considered an extra bonus.

I may have forgotten something, but at least you have a general outline.

Cheers, Rich

Edited by Rich C