News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have just purchased this Imperial Naval Wound Badge for a good price on eBay. It appears to be a match with accepted original badges on this forum. However, I think that someone has spray-painted the badge silver. I can see little patches of black underneath. I'm wondering whether I should try to remove the silver paint and return the badge to black, or leave it alone. I have used fingernail polish remover to restore other badges. Any opinions if I would also remove the underlying black finish?

Thank you for your comments!

Guest Rick Research

I have an identical silver one which I fished out of a tea tin full of all 3 classes in the early 1970s.

That is NOT black paint under there-- it is the gunmetal type finish on the steel itself which presumably helped bond that ghastly ORIGINAL radiator paint finish.

They are simply ugly, that's all. :beer:

As far as the ghastly radiator paint finish goes... we had long suspected that the same on Hamburg Hanseatic Crosses meant cheapo inter-war duplicates-- until a dated, atrributed group with one in wear during the war turned up.

I know of no way to say whether one of these badges is 1918, 1928, or 1938, but from the sheer ugliness and typical naval just-stab-it-in needle pin, I'm more inclined to accept these "radiators" as a first batch BECAUSE they are so ugly. (Nobody would have bought one as a REPLACEMENT.... :rolleyes: )

Thanks a million Rick, for keeping me from doing something stupid (like trying to remove perfectly good radiator paint). I don't collect much Imperial stuff, so I had no way of judging originality.

All The Best,

Erik

I have an identical silver one which I fished out of a tea tin full of all 3 classes in the early 1970s.

That is NOT black paint under there-- it is the gunmetal type finish on the steel itself which presumably helped bond that ghastly ORIGINAL radiator paint finish.

They are simply ugly, that's all. :beer:

As far as the ghastly radiator paint finish goes... we had long suspected that the same on Hamburg Hanseatic Crosses meant cheapo inter-war duplicates-- until a dated, atrributed group with one in wear during the war turned up.

I know of no way to say whether one of these badges is 1918, 1928, or 1938, but from the sheer ugliness and typical naval just-stab-it-in needle pin, I'm more inclined to accept these "radiators" as a first batch BECAUSE they are so ugly. (Nobody would have bought one as a REPLACEMENT.... :rolleyes: )