News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can You ID This Uniform ?

Hi Gents ?.A very good friend of mine in our Town sent me these photos they have in a Family Album ?I believe it?s of his Grandfather before the Family came to America. He asked if I knew anyone who could identify the Uniform he is wearing.

I contacted a few other Collectors but no one can be sure if it?s a WW1 Military Dress Uniform or some sort of Gov/Police officials Uniform.

Any help would be appreciated !

Guest Rick Research

Italian, early-mid 1920s from the full rack of WW1 medals there (War Cross, Commemorative Medal, Victory, United Italy).

Don't recognize the cap badge on the first image, but it seems odd to be wearing military style scalloped collar patches without the usual "army" stars on them. Can't make out branch of service on the lounging with overcoat photo.

Seems to be a junior NCO from the partially seen arm stripes?

The pistol is an odd touch. I can't remember ever seeing an Italian enlisted man with one-- though he is wearing no officer insignia that I can see.

Thanks Rick ?.ya know , I just Emailed John with the Link to this Thread and told him I bet Rick would ID it ---so you just proved me right ! :cheers:

The missing Stars threw me off too and at first I was wondering if it was some sort of Navy Uniform because of the dark color ?but the last shot looks Army . Wouldn?t Italian Military Police be authorized to wear a sidearm ? ?.that could explain an armed NCO ?and his branch

Guest Rick Research

I'm pretty sure all versions of police wore a giant flaming grenade "bomb" and I think the Carbinieri wore "German" style collar patches. That first one, if I had to guess, would be something like Customs or that sort of thing. The other shots are definitely the Sad Sack army attire of the WW1 period-- though in the small and blurry overcoat shot he appears to be wearing what looks like a "normal" visor cap and not the then-usual kepi.

The very small stripes MIGHT be something like "at the front" marks, since NCOs had wider chevrons like the man with binoculars in the foreground of this photo:

Officers had rank stripes around the bands of their caps and I see none here-- not that I'd have expected anyone form the Italian officer class to have emigrated in the 1920s anyway.

Here is the Duke of Aosta, Field Marshal (and former "Infante" off Spain as a bambino) looking just as Sad Sack like in his blouse (he had the grace and the class to not festoon himself with dynastic gongs at the front)

but check out the General's cap!!!!!

Thanks for posting those shots Rick ...so , there's a chance he could have served in WW1 and then ended up as a Customs Officer after the War. I'll ask him if there are any other shots available.

• 5 months later...

Hi the first picture is for a 'Vigile Urbano' (city police), pictured on 20ies, after WW1.

The third photo (taked before this) is for a Guardia Regia, a police corps endend in early 20ies (if I remember well in 23-23). Probably, when Guardia Regia was closed, him was recruited by Civic Police.