News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I do hope Im in the right place.

A German ancestor Joseph (Josef) Rest born 1883, was in somekind

of military in Germany. Ive been told it may have been the Navy, as a story

been told to me that just prior to the First World War, he was docked in Australian

waters - and was taken as prisoner (German Prisoner of War) by the Australian

Soliders until after the War.

Just wondering if there is any possible way to locate any records that may regard

to him being in the German Navy.

Apparently he must have returned to Germany after the War, and came back out to Australia with his wife and child in 1928, which was petitioned by his brother Friedrich Rest who was already living in Australia.

I think they were from Hamburg.

Its just confusing - and what makes it more difficult and I cannot read or speak German, which I should have learnt.

Any help would be most appreciated.

AussieJack09

Jack,

Unless your relative was an officer, it will be almost impossible to find out anything about him in regard to his military service. You will probably have more luck doing normal genealogical research.

Perhaps there is information on wartime German prisoners in some Australian archive?

Chip

Hi Chip

I guess that sounds much feasible. . . . .

I have been trying also to research the family back to Germany

but no records I can find. The Australian Gov records do have

only his name, and where they came from to Australia. So yeah

information about them very limited.

But thank you for your reply, most appreciated

AussieJack09

Jack,

Unless your relative was an officer, it will be almost impossible to find out anything about him in regard to his military service. You will probably have more luck doing normal genealogical research.

Perhaps there is information on wartime German prisoners in some Australian archive?

Chip

Guest Rick Research

German Imperial Navy records are intact for OFFICERS-- under the unto-the-generations "care" of bureaucrats who report to "work" for decades, drink coffee, get a decoration at appropriate jubilee occasions, retire with pensions-- and never release Secret Private data from before 1919 to anybody ever for any reason.

I very much doubt such data still exists for enlisted ranks-- not that anyone would be able to PRY it out of the lumps getting paid NOT to ever do anything with all that paperwork.

You'd have far better luck with Australian immigration and naturalization records. I have seen such from the Second War period when enemy aliens had to write out complete vitae justifying not being incarcerated as non-hostiles. Depending on when citizenship was achieved, you may luck out there. :beer: