News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of St George

Megan

• 5 months later...

From the maker's own web site.

In my efforts to find the write ups and prerequistites I am missing for so many medals on my Wiki site, I spend hours and hours randomly entering award names in Russian on Google hoping against all hope to find them and sometimes get lucky and hit treasures like this.

Guest Rick Research

The Tsarist iconography is quite creepy.

How can a Romanov award like this be slid into continued Soviet awards like the still-extant Heroes' Gold Star?

How does a Gold Star "rank" with a Saint George? Is this supposed to equate to the new Order of Lenin?

This is all getting quite incredibly "North Korean" (churning out so many/too many awards to WEAR) aside from the bizarre conglomeration of mutually inimical political "memory."

Rick, the "Hero Star" is not an Order nor a Decoration, it is a "Title" and as such, not associated with any particular other award. It can be bestowed both in peace or war time.

Recent recipients of the title of "Hero of the Russian Federation" have had quite the variety of awards connected to their deed(s). Order of Valor, Medal for Courage, Medal of Suvorov etc. The title of "Hero" is more complicated than the award of western decorations such as the V.C. or M.O.H., it has to do with an impact on the entire Federation. I hope to be able to go in real detail on this subject soon.

As for reborn Tsarist Orders, their prerequisites make it clear they're for generals, or at a minimum, for well connected officers... The non military ones are most definitely destined for friends of the party in power. Quite aristocratic in nature unfortunately! Enough said.

I believe the retention of so many ex-Soviet awards was two-fold. Firstly to lessen the impact of changing to a new system and retaining the favor of military leaders who's own awards would now be defunct... Secondly, to fill a huge void for other ranks since the Tsarist Orders are like previously mentioned, incredibly aristocratic in nature.