News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Post WWI Standschutzen Insignia?

Gentlemen,

I am helping a collecting collegue who has some insignia he is trying to identify. To me, it looks as though it would fit some where in the time frame 1918 to 1938 but it could be later. The eagle arm badge would indicate an association with the Tyrol region but was used on diamond shaped arm badges in WWII. The fact that the eagle in the arm badge also shows up on the collar tabs is very interesting. Anyone have any experience in this area? Photos of the reverse are to come later.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest Rick Research

The metal insignia on the diamond shaped pach, rotated so that the "T" is upside down on its base, was an Austro-Hungarian WW1 machine gun uits officer's insignia worn on the right side of caps. This suggest an interwar date as you suspect.

Rick,

Since you have been kind enough to try and help out, here are some pictures from the HGM in Vienna that seem to validate the time frame of use of this insignia to the post war era. The first picture, if memory serves my right, is identified as from the 1918/1920 period but I'll have to confirm that on my next trip to Vienna. At least it shows that diamond shaped arm badges, showing unit assignment, was in use at that time. The second picture shows a post WWI Austrian tunic with a gold eagle on the collar tabs.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest Rick Research

He's actually wearing golfers' "plus four" knee length knickers. I have cropped the Hideous Reality. :rolleyes:

I suspect these oddly tabbed and sleeve insignia'd units are paramilitary and police.

During the 1920s the Austrian Bundeswehr was kitted out like a 1940s Holywood movie version of Germans-- with grotesquely oversized "German" collar tabs and "German" shoulder boards:

There was a nativist reaction and at some point in the early 1930s they returned to Austrian tabs, kepis etc.