News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POLAND. Comm. White Eagle Medal or Benemerenti ?

When I bought this large (53mm/58grs) silver medal I thought it commemorated the founding of the polish Order of the White Eagle. It was obviously period, as it had been used as a marriage-medal between Jean Cardeux & Marie-Rose Viader on the 20th of October 1783, who had it engraved.

It was shown to Zdzislaw P. Wesolowski in the early '80s when he was preparing his book on Polish Decorations (1705-1985). A picture was made of the medal which he published as figure 18, page 11 of the 1985 printing of the book. It is there described as :

"Medal Benemerentibus. King August III established a civilian decoration on August 3, 1749 to be awarded for outstanding service in public and social service, arts and sciences. The medal had the bust of the king in royal regalia with the following words : AUGUSTUS III D.G. REX POLONIARUM. The reverse had a table on which the chain of the Order of the White Eagle rests. Below the table, the date of the establishment of the medal, 3 Aug. MDCCXLVIIII. Above the table in Latin : DE REGE ET REPUBLICA BENE MERENTIBUS (FOR MERITORIOUS SERVICE TO THE KING AND THE REPUBLIC). The medal was made by Wermuth. 50mm in silver".

Could anyone help me decide whether it is a commemorative medal or a true award ?. I would certainly be happier to go along with Wesolowski's definition, but I really have a doubt. Are other pieces known to exist ?

Suggestions will be gratefully received. Thank you

Very best regards

Veteran

When I bought this large (53mm/58grs) silver medal I thought it commemorated the founding of the polish Order of the White Eagle. It was obviously period, as it had been used as a marriage-medal between Jean Cardeux & Marie-Rose Viader on the 20th of October 1783, who had it engraved.

It was shown to Zdzislaw P. Wesolowski in the early '80s when he was preparing his book on Polish Decorations (1705-1985). A picture was made of the medal which he published as figure 18, page 11 of the 1985 printing of the book. It is there described as :

"Medal Benemerentibus. King August III established a civilian decoration on August 3, 1749 to be awarded for outstanding service in public and social service, arts and sciences. The medal had the bust of the king in royal regalia with the following words : AUGUSTUS III D.G. REX POLONIARUM. The reverse had a table on which the chain of the Order of the White Eagle rests. Below the table, the date of the establishment of the medal, 3 Aug. MDCCXLVIIII. Above the table in Latin : DE REGE ET REPUBLICA BENE MERENTIBUS (FOR MERITORIOUS SERVICE TO THE KING AND THE REPUBLIC). The medal was made by Wermuth. 50mm in silver".

Could anyone help me decide whether it is a commemorative medal or a true award ?. I would certainly be happier to go along with Wesolowski's definition, but I really have a doubt. Are other pieces known to exist ?

Suggestions will be gratefully received. Thank you

Very best regards

Veteran

Dear Veteran,

According to Count Emeric Hutten-Czapski's monumental 5 volume work on the coins and medals of Poland. Published in the late 19th century and reprinted in Graz in the 1970's The medal by Heinrich Freidrich Wemuth according to Czapski was "frappee pour la fete de L'Aigle Blanc anniversaire de la fete du Roi". There is a similar piece to this listed by him but dated 1751. It is most certainly a commemorative medal and is listed as R1 by Czapski which means not common but not rare (R8 is the highest grade of rarity which is unique). So presumably all the guests at the jollification received the medal as a gift.

I hope this is of help,

All the best,

Paul

Thank you so much, Paul, for the information you bring. As usual it is right on the mark and most convincing. The word BENEMERENTIBUS might mean it was given on the King's birthday in 1750 as a token of appreciation to "the worthy". The fact you report that it also exists dated the year 1751 might support this view.

It is a pleasure to hear from you once more. Your opinion is highly appreciate. I am most grateful.

With my very best personnal regards

Paul