News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Identification

Dieter3

There is a copy of the B&W photo from which this is taken in Nakata's book on page 62. The illustrator was creative in his use of colours. The correct medals on the bar are actually Legion of Honour, 1894-95 War Medal, Constitution Promulgation Medal, Meiji Wedding Commemorative Medal and a Red Cross Special Member's Medal.

Edited by Paul L Murphy

If this is General Hisaichi Terauchi (promotet to War minister 1936) this will help out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisaichi_Terauchi

to identify the medals by the painting is hard, but the long one on his right with the red ribbon is for sure a french l?gion d'honneur.

I believe this is Masatake Terauchi, Minister of War at the time of the Russo-Japanese war.

Edited by Dieter3

I believe this is Masatake Terauchi, Minister of War at the time of the Russo-Japanese war.

That is correct, it is Masatake. This particular father and son pair are unique in that they are the only case of father and son both reaching the honorary rank of Field Marshal in Japan. Hisaichi's (the son's) Marshal's badge is in my collection. This is a very rare award since it was only bestowed 31 times on Japanese recipients and once on a foreigner (Field Marshal Kitchener).

It is so great as a medal collector to have you guys expert opinions! Sorry for the misdirection! I read about the Marshal's badge did you posted pictures of it somewhere? I would love to see an original one, i only so the fakes on ebay...

That is correct, it is Masatake. This particular father and son pair are unique in that they are the only case of father and son both reaching the honorary rank of Field Marshal in Japan. Hisaichi's (the son's) Marshal's badge is in my collection. This is a very rare award since it was only bestowed 31 times on Japanese recipients and once on a foreigner (Field Marshal Kitchener).

Oh yeah! Now that is a seriously fine piece to have!! I see the new thread, thanks for posting!!

Edited by Dieter3