News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MILITARY MEDAL - WW1

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Attributed to Private D. NICHOLLS - Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC).

495415 PTE. D. NICHOLLS. 2/2 H.C.F.A.R.A.M.C. - T.F.

The entries in the London Gazette dated December 12, 1917. Although I have not any research, it appears (due to the usual 3 month delay between the actions earned and date of announcement) he could have earned this between 28 and 31st October 1917 (Passchendaele)?

Obverse:

Not sure if you're aware but the unit title is actually the 2/2nd(Home Counties)Field Ambulance, RA.M.C.(TF). His six figure number on the medal was actually introduced for all members of the Territorial Force in 1917. For the moment I can't tell you which Division served with, although I suspect one of the Home Counties Divisions, as all of my ORBATS are at home in the UK, so I'll have to look elsewhere.

Guest Darrell

Not sure if you're aware but the unit title is actually the 2/2nd(Home Counties)Field Ambulance, RA.M.C.(TF). His six figure number on the medal was actually introduced for all members of the Territorial Force in 1917. For the moment I can't tell you which Division served with, although I suspect one of the Home Counties Divisions, as all of my ORBATS are at home in the UK, so I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks Graham. I was aware of the full title. It appears that his 6 figure number appears for the Medal Card for the MM, however, nothing shows for any other medal entitlement. LarsA at the British Medal forum has some theories of why.

++++++++++++++++

I couldn't find D. Nicholls on Ancestry either for a MIC or even in the pension or service records. In fact there are very few D. Nicholls on there.

I reckon he was a late entry into Theatre in late 1916 or even 1917, then his original number was changed in 1917 on the re-numbering which is shown on his MM Card.

I don't think it was Dennis who Lars mentions above, as the 27th Division (Which the HCFA were attached) was ordered to Salonika in November 1915 and embarkation began on 17 November, but it was not until 13 February 1916 that the last of the Division finally arrived, so that counts out Dennis Nicholls and the 1914-15 Star.

I'd go on the assumption initially that he is 8058 David Nicholls and follow that line of thought first.

Unless...........he was part of this 9 Provisional Field Ambulance I mentioned earlier, which were designated the Home Counties and served with the 73rd Division from Jan 1917 until disbanded in March 1918.

The other option of course is that he was serving with another regiment/corps, then transferred to the RAMC and was then awarded his MM after being allocated his new RAMC TA number.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++