News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1879 ZULU WAR SWORDSTICK

This is an interesting swordstick - carried in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 - by a captain in the Gordon Highlanders. They were re-inforcements and arrived in about March - they were active for the remainder of the campaign and the final defeat of the Zulus at the Battle of Ulundi. The stick is probably much earlier, being of pattern common at the beginning of the 19th.Century. The handle is Scottish staghorn and the cane itself, is Malacca. This comes from the island of Malacca in the Indonesian islands and , strangely, there are male and female types of this plant - this is male and it does not break - just splits along the wood.

Most of these sword sticks use old levee swords , which are ideal in length and thickness. Levee swords are worn only in the presence of the Sovereign - or, a direct representitive - i.e. Viceroy, or, Governor General. They can be for civilians or, the Services, but in a Regt. probably only the Lt.Col. and his senior majors would have one.

The rarity with this stick , is that before he returned to UK, he had a Zulu put binding on the shaft. This was woven from copper and brass wire that the Zulus exchanged ivory and hides for, from the Portuguese in Delgoa bay. The provenance that this binding gives, makes the stick extremely valuable. I always carry it when in the wheelchair - would give a 'mugger' a big shock !!