News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TacHel

I hope somebody here can enlighten me on Cossacks.

I see Cossack medals for sale everywhere... Are these medals governmental? (By that I mean official).

What exactly are Cossacks (today)?

I hope somebody here can enlighten me on Cossacks.

I see Cossack medals for sale everywhere... Are these medals governmental? (By that I mean official).

What exactly are Cossacks (today)?

Cossack medals not the official. But also not all of you can buy.

There are awards which is received for operations.

Cossacks are today public organisations. But I think, that soon Cossacks will obtain the state recognition and support.

As I understand it (and as Roman indicates), the Cossacks today mainly exist as private cultural and fraternal organizations, only occasionally associated with the government for official duties, if at all. There was some talk in the mid-to-late '90s (I think?) of enlisting their manpower to augment the MVD in policing the streets in some regions, but I think this was never taken any further. There are a couple of Defense Ministry units that had the title 'Cossack' bestowed on them, but I'm pretty sure they're just honorary titles, and not reflective of a special capability or anything (I'd bet it's in return for those organizations who are assisting the unit with extra aid, resources, etc). I'm not really sure what's happened on this issue in the last 10 yrs...maybe some of our Russian colleagues can add to the above... :unsure:

Unfortunately, I don't think the Cossacks today are anything like the 'frontier guards' that we knew them to be in Czarist times.

OK... I found out a lot after a short search (which I should've done in the first place).

Wikipedia on Cossaks

Another site

Russia's Cossaks rise again!

Wow! Read this article!!

Armed Cossacks pour in to fight Georgians

It's like the last 100 years never actually happened...

"...Under Russia law, Cossacks - the descendants of runaway serfs and outlaws who in the past were employed to protect the country's southern border - are allowed to carry arms and carry out policing functions in cooperation with interior ministry forces..."

Edited by TacHel

Do Cossacks join the regular armed forces or do they form their own units?

Cossacks serve in usual army divisions.

But in territory of the Cossack areas Cossacks patrol streets for maintenance of an order and for this work receive money from the state.

Uniform of Cossacks, their ranks are etc. established by the decree the President in 1998.