News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts regarding a Man who served with the Brunswick Army in 1815 as I'm totally stuck.

His name was Carl Niemeyer and served with the Kriegs Commissariat. I believe these men were civilians of Officer rank. I?ve checked Brunswick, KGL and British lists for the period (peninsular War also) but I?ve found nothing on him at all and have been told it will probably be impossible to find anything.

I have Schaumann?s book ? on the road with Wellington? who was also with the Kriegs Commissariat, so have an idea of what they were responsible for but would be great to find more on the man himself.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Mossop

Hello Mossop,

I've checked all my sources and have found nothing. I'll keep looking :cheers:

You might want to post this in the Imperial German Section.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

Guest Rick Research

Quartermaster-- or what was called a "sutler" over here-- providing rations and such.

Thanks for looking into this Barry/Rick, I'll take your advice and try the Imperial Reseach forum also.

Rick, so Kriegs Commissariat is a Quartermaster, his Rank is given as Aide?

Mossop

I did find this but not sure what it means.

google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=qsQsAAAAY...num=1#PPA339,M1

Eva Juliane Auguste Luise, geb 8 marz 1783, heirathet am 20. febr. 1811 Otto Carl Niemeyer, Amtmann 2 Reinhousen, und stirbt am 17 Jan 1845.

In 1811, Otto Carl Niemeyer a municipal clerk in Reinhausen (near Gleichen) married Luise von Uslar-Gleichen ( she was born in 1783 and died in 1845).

He was probably born around 1780... that could be him

Edited by Naxos

Wow great going guys!, that sounds like a good lead, found this also, possibly the same man?

Dem Amtshauptmann zur Seite stand 1818 der Amtsassessor und sp?tere Amtmann Otto Carl Niemeyer (amtierte noch 1828). Er schrieb: ?Ueber Criminal-Verbrechen, peinliche Strafen, und deren Vollziehungen, besonders aus ?lteren Zeiten / aus den Criminal-Acten des K?nigl. Hannov. Amts Meinersen gr??tentheils gesammelt?, L?neburg 1824 (Bibliothek des OLG Celle A 64.447.553). Niemeyers Werk ist als Anhang in das Neue vaterl?ndische Archiv, Jahrgang 1824, eingearbeitet. Auf der Ank?ndigung des Verkaufstermins der Gastwirtschaft Neuegarten in Uetze unterschrieben am 2. August 1824 vom K?niglich Gro?britannisch-Hannoverschen Amt Meinersen von D?ring, Niemeyer und Stelling (?Braunschweigische Anzeigen?, Amt Meinersen).

Many thanks for that

Mossop :cheers:

In the text you quoted - it reads: 1742 ... neue Amtsbezeichnung Commissarius und Amtmann

In 1742 a new name was given to the office that Niemeyer held in 1815, it was called: "Commissarius und Amtmann"

His superior in 1815 would have been the Amtshauptmann Carl Johann Georg von D?ring

Edited by Naxos

Thanks for explaining that, my German is very poor, I'm mainly using an online translator

Finding the Carl Niemeyer living near Brunswick in 1821 sounds very promising and also you mention "Commissarius und Amtmann" - so this is an officer that would relate to War Commissariat?

Forgive my ignorance here, I'm used to researching British Soldiers of this period and just getting started with German

Mossop

... "Commissarius und Amtmann" - so this is an officer that would relate to War Commissariat?

Mossop

No, it would be a local peace officer - Perhaps for a short time he was under the command of the War Commissariat

found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_War_Commissariat

"Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg, set up the General War Commissariat to oversee the army, as well as to levy taxes necessary to support the army. It soon became a bureaucratic machine for civil government as well. Frederick William used it to govern the state. Many members were landed aristocracy known as Junkers, who served in the army as well. The commissariats helped to centralize power."

Interesting Stuff :cheers:

I found some other info, but its in German , so I'm not sure what I've got here.

Maybe the same guy.........

Here is the link to this stuff

search Niemeyer

http://www.stadtarchiv-celle.findbuch.net/...nd=be&id=28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bestand: Best. 05 - Milit?rwesen

VE: Verhandlungen mit dem Zollkommissar Niemeyer wegen des ?bernommenen Magazins, pp.

Indizes Niemeyer (Zollkommissar)

Bestand: Best. 05 - Milit?rwesen

Klassifikationsgruppe: 07.03 Verpflegung, Kriegerfuhren und sonstige Leistungen

Bestellnummer: 5 G 96

Dat. => Findbuch: 1803 - 1806

Index: Niemeyer (Zollkommissar)

-Milit?rwesen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bestand: Best. 12 - Gerichts- und Polizeiwesen

VE: Zollkommiss?r Niemeyer wider die Schiffer Bockelmann aus Eilte und Sievers aus Inschede wegen Arrests.

Indizes Niemeyer, Zollkommiss?r

Bestand: Best. 12 - Gerichts- und Polizeiwesen

Klassifikationsgruppe: 02.02 ?ltere Prozesse

Bestellnummer: 12 B 85

Dat. => Findbuch: 1802 - 1803

Microfilm/-fiche: S.-Film 766

Index: Niemeyer, Zollkommiss?r

-?ltere Prozesse

Sievers, Schiffer

-?ltere Prozesse

Eilte

-Gerichts-u.Polizeiwesen

Inschede

-Gerichts-u.Polizeiwesen

Bockelmann, Schiffer

-?ltere Prozesse

Google Translate :speechless:

Inventory: Order 05 - military

VE: negotiations with the Customs Commissioner Niemeyer assumed because of the magazine, pp.

Niemeyer indices (Customs Commissioner)

Inventory: Order 05 - military

Group classification: 07.03 Meals, Fuhren warriors and other services

Order: 5 G 96

Dat. => Reference: 1803 - 1806

Index: Niemeyer (Customs Commissioner)

Military matters

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Inventory: Order 12 - court and police

VE: Customs commissioner Niemeyer against Schifferstadt Bockelmann from Sievers and hurried from Inschede because arrest.

Indices Niemeyer, customs commissioner

Inventory: Order 12 - court and police

Group classification: 02.02 Mature Processes

Order: 12 B 85

Dat. => Reference: 1802 - 1803

Microfilm / fiche: p. 766-film

Index: Niemeyer, customs commissioner

older-processes

Sievers, Schiffer

older-processes

Hurried

Court-u.Polizeiwesen

Inschede

Court-u.Polizeiwesen

Bockelmann, Schiffer

older-processes

Wow! - I'm amazed with what your finding, this is facinating!

Also for the explaination on the War Comm, this would explain why I couldn't find this man in lists of Brunswick Officers in 1815.

I just have three Brunswick Waterloo medals and its quite a coincidence that one is called Niemeyer the other Niemeier, not the most common surname I think?

Mossop :cheers::cheers:

no problem, here we go.

1) Cornet Augustus Niemeier, Brunswick Hussar Regiment, was apparently severely wounded at Waterloo but I?ve not yet confirmed. Not found a great deal on him yet but I do see he was later a commissair

Got much more on the other guy though

Wilh. v. Ritterholm. Capt. 3 Lin Bat.

Karl Wilhelm von Ritterholm was born in Zielenzig in 1787.

Forester by occupation.

Joined a Prussian Field J?ger Regiment in 1800.

On 6 November 1806 he was wounded on service near L?beck.

In 1807 he joined the J?ger Company of Otto v. Dobrowolsky at Kolberg.

On 21 November 1808 he was promoted to Oberj?g (Private 1st Class) in the Garde J?ger Battalion.

On 27 June 1809, near Rossen he was transferred to the Brunswick Sharpshooter Company.

Promoted to Corporal and transferred to the Brunswick Oels Jager Regiment on 25 September 1809.

Promoted to Sergeant in December 1809.

Promoted to Fahnrich (Colour Bearer) in August 1810.

Served with Regiment in Peninsula from September 1810- September 1811 and January 1812 - April 1814

Promoted to Lieutenant on 22 July 1812.

Taken prisoner near Eschalar in the Pyrenees, on 15 July 1813, released April 1814.

While in Peninsula, took part in battles of Fuentes d?Onoro, Monasterio, Salamanca, San Munos, Pyrenees and other smaller actions

On 24 December 1814 he was appointed a Captain in the Battalion v. Prostler.

On 20 April 1815 Ritterholm joined the 3rd Line Battalion and served in the Waterloo campaign.

He was moved to the 1st Line Battalion in February 1816.

To the Reserve Battalion in May 1822.

He left the military service of Brunswick in April 1824.

Died in Brunswick on 4 February 1830.

I've been checking on Niemeier and found this little footnote in a book. However the page that the footnote goes with is missing(Page 198). :banger:

Looks like an interesting book.

Benjamin Constant By Dennis Wood

http://books.google.com/books?id=d6qbA4-eN...meier#PPA302,M1

Wolfenb?ttel, Nieders?chsisches Staatsarchiv, MS 264 N II s. 12 Nr 23, dossier entitled 'Papiere die Erbschaft Benjamin Constant's betreffend', Pouvoir donn? par Mr. Du Tertre ? Monsier Niemeier, notaire ? Brunswick pour faire toutes le d?marches de droit afine d'obtenir la cassation de son mariage avec Dame Comtesse de Hardenberg (cause indqu?e : Mr de Marenholz son premier mari dont elle est divorc?e ?tant encour vivant), sur papier timbr?, 5 juin 1807, unpublished; also Constant, (Euvres, pp. 637-8.

Wolfenb?ttel, Lower Saxony State Archives, MS 264 N II, p. 12 No. 23, dossier entitled 'documents the heritage on Benjamin Constant's' given power by Mr. Du Tertre Mr. Niemeier, notary in Brunswick to do all the right steps to get the appeal of his marriage to Countess Lady of Hardenberg (cause indicated: Mr Marenholz of her first husband whom she is divorced is encouraging living) on stamped paper, 5 June 1807, unpublished; also Constant, (Euvres, pp. 637-8.

5 June 1807 - Just a week before the Battle of Friedland

Maybe he lived in a castle

http://books.google.com/books?id=_jYAAAAAc...p;lr=#PPT298,M1

Interesting stuff Bear, been searching google books etc myself but never found this.

Do Brunswick/Hanover Officers of the time have records of service like British Officers and if so where would they be kept?

Thanks again

Mossop

Mmmm, was he a Cornet? - if so perhaps he was Eduard Augustus or Augustus Eduard and the medal is just named the single name, I've certainly come across this before.

Gives me another name to look at though

Mmmm, was he a Cornet? - if so perhaps he was Eduard Augustus or Augustus Eduard and the medal is just named the single name, I've certainly come across this before.

Gives me another name to look at though