News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Comparison of Golden Kite Award Documents....

Dieter3

I only have two examples as such, both 7th class, one Meiji era and the other Showa era. I find the differences interesting. Note the absence of the date immediately to the left of the emperor's mark in the Meiji document, the use of round hanko below the approving authorities on the left side as opposed to square ones in the Showa document. Neither of these things may be significant of anything. Perhaps more interesting is the use of the word DAI-NIPPON (大日本 ) in the second line of text (from the right side) in the Showa document as compared to the use of just NIPPON ( 日本 ) in the Meiji document. I am ignorant as to the reason for the difference, though there surely is a reason. Any enlightenment appreciated!

MEIJI

GK7thClassMeiji.jpg

SHOWA

GK7thClassShowa.jpg

I would certainly love to see other examples of and comparisons to other 7th class awards from the various conflicts, and of course, awards for higher classes of this Order! Any indulgence appreciated! :)

All of these differences you highlighted, and others that you have not noticed, will be explained in detail in my book on Japanese medals (I have started writing it so watch this space....)

Excellent! Looking forward to that too. Can you give us a "preview" of what we might be able to expect? One thing I would LOVE to see is illustrations/pictures of medal cases, rosettes/lapel pins, documents, the WORKS!!! :)

OMJAS is a great book but it does seem to be lacking of certain information that leaves newbies like me somewhat scratching our heads (hence, my appearance here with my ignorance and beginner quetions...... :blush: )

Excellent! Looking forward to that too. Can you give us a "preview" of what we might be able to expect? One thing I would LOVE to see is illustrations/pictures of medal cases, rosettes/lapel pins, documents, the WORKS!!! :)

OMJAS is a great book but it does seem to be lacking of certain information that leaves newbies like me somewhat scratching our heads (hence, my appearance here with my ignorance and beginner quetions...... :blush: )

My intention is to have a chapter on each medal or order and show the obverse and reverse of the item (with variations from different time periods for the orders) as well as all the stuff that is missing from Peterson such as the cases of issue, the certificates (and variations where these exist) as well as related items such as rosettes etc. I am in the process of collating together in one place all the information I have from my various Japanese sources including stuff as varied as the corralation between ranks of nobility and military ranks, the payment levels for Golden Kite pensions over the years, numbers awarded etc.

There is a lot of information to put together and I am still missing some of the certificates so it will take a while to complete.

:cheers: