News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH TEMPERANCE MEDALS

Two medals for the experts to 'get their teeth into'. I know very little about their background - the Indian one is hallmarked 1900 - but is not easy to read. The British one has no markings - but tests silver. I was told they could be worn ? Over to you.....

There's not really that much to get the teeth into other than that both are five-year awards. The ATAI was formed in 1888 and lasted until 1924 in India. Both the ATAI and the ATAH (Army Temperance Association - Home) received Royal prefixes in 1902 to become RATA India and Home respectively. The latter item is a UK award and this could have been awarded anytime between 1905 and 1939 when the RATA ceased to operate. Both were worn from plain scarlet ribbons.

A Guide to Military Temperance Medals by David A Harris is worth having on the bookshelf.

I think that the only privilege they got was the self chosen one of paying for the char & wads of the dry canteen rather than paying for the beer of the wet canteen.

Temperance medals are worn on the right breasts of some of these Northumberland Fusiliers in India Merv.

Edited by leigh kitchen