News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King's German Legion List of Officers Awarded British Military General Service Medals

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

From 1853. The nasty black smudgy THING in front of names is a blurry Olde Englishe "W" indicating "wounded." That is not always accurate, since at least one officer I've encountered in John A. Hall's "The Biographical Dictionary of British Officers Killed and Wounded, 1808-1814" who WAS wounded doesn't have a "W."

The round rayed thing before some bar numbers indicates that the officer received a Gold Medal for some other battle(s).

Guest Rick Research

I'm quite surprised that somebody was "scientific" enough to number the bars and list them neatly that way, saving space. :cheers:

looks a lot like the old London Times font/print. i like the fact that you can see Lt. Col. Potens' medal (a single "9") on the register.

Talk about provenance. ....that's about as good as it gets.

Guest Rick Research

From August Finkam's 1901 numbers and the 1853 list above--

Finkam said 134 KGL officers versus 120 on 1853 MGS list

Finkam said 1,230 MGS to all ranks KGL = 134 O/ 1,096 OR vs. 120 O/ 1,110 OR

Finkam lists totals entitled to multiple bars as

15 bars = 1 (no officers)

14 bars = NONE

13 bars = 1 (no officers)

12 bars = 2 (no officers)

11 bars = 15 (no officers)

10 bars = 44 (1 Officer / 43 Other Ranks)

9 bars = 173 (16 / 157)

8 bars = 67 (8 / 59)

7 bars = 30 (6 / 24)

6 bars = 216 (4 / 212)

5 bars = 53 (12 / 42)

4 bars = 68 (14 / 54)

3 bars = 207 (22 / 185)

2 bars = 100 (18 / 82)

1 bars = 253 (20 / 233)

Number of bars matches Finkam?s total of 1,230 to ALL ranks of the King?s German Legion, but there is a discrepancy of 14 between his number of former KGL officers (134) and those listed in the 1853 list (120). Numbers of officers? bars above are from that 1853 list.

I believe Finkam's officer total is correct. See:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32712

Despite the fact that his medals are NAMED to him in the KGL, in 1853 Paschal was listed as if he was issued the MGS in his British regiment. Not so. That's 1 of the 14 down instantly and the others are surely similar cases of Hanoverophobic counting. I've adjusted the two bar count, as it satnds, to reflect his receipt of 2 bars. :rolleyes: