News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OLDEST WEAPONS ON GMIC - ?

Are these the oldest items on GMIC ? Stone age implements - arrow heads - found in the South of England. They date between 5,000 and 10,000 years old. Most of them are from the Pitt-Rivers collection of the Dorchester Museum - sold off in the 1960's as surplus ? I bought three carrier bags of different pieces. The one - 2nd. from left - I picked-up in the New Forest - near Brockenhurst. Probably earlier then the more conventionally shaped ones. Our stone age ancestors were very prolific with their flint tools and you can still find good items when walking in the right places. Having a supply of flint was important to these people - by striking it in the right way - known as flint napping - they could shape and sharpen hand tools and then bind onto shafts for arrows or, spears. Fresh flint is so sharp you can shave with it - they also, made axes , knives , skin scrapers etc..

You don't see these old pieces so much now-a-days and value has gone-up. I expect this would be worth ?300 ($450).

Flint gradually gave way - some 5000 years ago to bronze and then to iron.

I'm waiting to see if Leigh can add one of his great postcards to this ???

The colours are quite good on this - but will add another one to show a little closer on the detail

I've always liked this sort of thing - forum member Scott sent me an arrow head from America once, lovely little thing in yellow stone, probably a hunting arrow head.

Museums selling surplus stuff off, terrible, but then I've know of them throw stuff in the bins, as well as razor insignia off tunics & sell the insignia.

Hmmm postcards ........

Edited by leigh kitchen