News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

A nice trio. The little silver Bulgarian Merit Medal on War Ribbon means he was probably an Unteroffizier.

Hmm, a NCO without long service award? I'd rather assume an EM. Has this Bulgarian medal to be war time, as it's on bravery ribbon? I think so. Krause does just give FIVE awards of this class to W?rttembergers... four to Unteroffiziere... and one to a Sergeant! I cannot be sure but assume this is

Sergeant Dumat's bar.

:catjava:

PS: and even if it's not his - a lovely trio. :cheers:

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

There aren't enough listed in the Personal Nachrichten to be sure that others were simply NOT gazetted. They even skipped awards to officers, never mind lowly enlisted men.

These medals-- which are nicer in all classes than the nasty little cast Bravery Crosses-- seem to have been given out as "war merit" awards rather than for frontline action. They were bestwoed by rank of the recipient, so Unteroffizier would be the most common. George had a very nice little group to a Gefreiter who was the chauffeur of one of the Ernestine Dukes and he got one in bronze with crown "on war ribbon." The Turks also gave him a Sanay Medal for Arts and Sciences-- apparently they couldn't figure out what was appropriate for a driver-and-door-opener!!! :cheeky:

Not necessarily anyone who ever had a long service award-- if wartime dR or dL.