News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identify U-boat Kaptains

Guest Rick Research

#1 was Oberleutnant zur See Ludwig Forster: born 9 October 1915 in Lauingen bei Dillingen, lost 22 August 1942 as commander of U 654 (since 25.11.41). Same photo, much cropped, is in Rainer Busch & Hans-Joachim R?ll "German U-Boat Commanders of World War II."

#3) PROBABLY Oberleutnant zur See Gustav L?ssow: born 30 Decemeber 1917 in Teterow, Mecklenburg. Lost 28 January 1944 as commander of U 571 (since 31 May 1943).

I am 99% sure of him from his distinctive ears and eye, but hard to judge against his photo in the same book where he is frowning for the camera with a blond billygoat tuft on his chin and a mustache.

#1 was Oberleutnant zur See Ludwig Forster: born 9 October 1915 in Lauingen bei Dillingen, lost 22 August 1942 as commander of U 654 (since 25.11.41). Same photo, much cropped, is in Rainer Busch & Hans-Joachim R?ll "German U-Boat Commanders of World War II."

#3) PROBABLY Oberleutnant zur See Gustav L?ssow: born 30 Decemeber 1917 in Teterow, Mecklenburg. Lost 28 January 1944 as commander of U 571 (since 31 May 1943).

I am 99% sure of him from his distinctive ears and eye, but hard to judge against his photo in the same book where he is frowning for the camera with a blond billygoat tuft on his chin and a mustache.

Thank you!!!!!....Thats fantastic....Fast reply.

#3 is that my last picture or the kaptain with the knights cross, sorry I did not make that very clear.

Paul

Guest Rick Research

Ah-- I meant POST number 3-- the Young Bill Clinton type. :cheers:

I'm sure the Oakleaves winner in post #2 is immediately recognizable to U-boat collectors, but I'm not one.

Ah-- I meant POST number 3-- the Young Bill Clinton type. :cheers:

Thank you, as I am trying to collect a war era photo of every commander.

These are the only ones I have not identified.

Paul

The chap with the Goatee beard in Photo 2 is Fregattenkapit?n Hans Ibbeken, commander of U-178. The Oakleaves winner is his Flotilla Commander, Fregattenkapit?n Klaus Scholtz.

Here is another shot, which gives a better view of Scholtz.

Thanks very much.

I should have known that was scholtz, as I have a photo album of u-108.

Paul

Guest Rick Research

Gordon-- I'm not good at earlobes-profiles-overcoats IDs but I think your Admiral is

Vizeadmiral zS zV (01.09.41) Wolf von Trotha (1884-1946). This is where it gets really fine as far as time line--

Scholtz got his Oakleaves 10 September 1942...

Von Trotha (Oberwerftdirektor St. Nazaire since 21.01.41) left that job on 18 October 1942---

so St. Nazaire between mid September and mid October 1942 make sense to you?

Chances are, YOUR photo and Paul's were taken on the same day-- Ibbeken's arrival back from a sea cruise... can THAT come up with a Magic Exact Day?

U-178 First Cruise (under Ibbeken) lasted from 8 September 1942 (departed Kiel) until 9 January 1943 (arrived Bordeaux) so the photos were likely taken in Bordeaux in January 1943. It was Ibbeken's only war patrol, though very successful, his previous command being pre-war.

So, there were no alternative boats / commands - it has to be the return of U-178 to Bordeaux in January 1943.

Where did von Trotha go after St Nazaire ?

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Good Lord-- would never recognize him from his circa 1928 portrait in the Admirals' bios!!!! :cheers: