News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EXAMPLES FROM THE ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

A little lower down , SABRIGADE posted a nice group, which included a CBE (Commander of the British Empire). I thought I would include a set of MBE and OBE - I will not give a lot of details - others are more able to do that. However, a question I can't answer - did they change the name of the Order as they were talking about at one time ? I believe it was going to become The Order of British Excellence.

OBE - Order of the British Empire. Also silver - as for the MBE - this version is lightly gilded. Unfortunately, with handling, this quickly wears off in many cases. With this example you can still see traces of the gilt.

Reverse follows.

OBE (MILITARY) 2ND TYPE, DFC GROUP TO LT COL G. N. MCBLAIN

One of my personal favourites in my collection. As a South African Bomber pilot in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force in WW1, McBlain was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. In WW2, he was appointed as the Senior Administration Officer for the South African Air Force in the Middle East and North Africa. He was awarded his OBE in this capacity. This group is accompanied by his log books, photos and pilots wings to the three forces he served in. He also received an MID in both World Wars.

Makes for good refs. for newer collectors. Col. McBlain's group is exceptional - I think MID's for both Wars is fairly rare - usually in the 2nd. they were instructors. I wonder if there are any figures for numbers issued ? Also, nice to see Darrell's with the box - so often they get separated.