News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting medal pair on Ebay

Garth Thompson

A seller in the UK has currently listed a LoH and St. Helena Medal (auction number 270415422991). The LoH is an oddball as it has the obverse and reverse of a Monarchy of July version but no crown. Any thoughts?

Garth

Edited by Garth Thompson

They both look good too me.

The L?gion d'honneur looks to be the 'July Monarchy' (1830-1848). Maybe a non officer version.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

A LoH "Monarchie de juillet" without a crown? :o

NO SUCH ANIMAL!!

Either the crown is missing and they reworked the suspension or the star is more modern and older center pieces were inserted. It isn't that rare to see an LoH with center discs that were changed.

But as is... NO WAY!

Very strange group...

Obviously, the crown of the LoH is missing. But more questionning is to find Henri IV and Napoleon together...

If the owner has been able to repair the missing crown (or to cut it off himself), he would be able to change the centre! If he is a Grande Arm?e veteran, as the Ste H?l?ne medal shows, I suppose he would be keen of replacing the figure by the Emperor.

The M?daille de Sainte H?l?ne was instituted in 1857 by Napol?on III. The centres of the LoH shown here were instituted during the 'Monarchie de Juillet', 1830 - 1848. After this period, the LoH kept back the Emperor face on the ovserve and the Eagle on the reverse up to 1870.

The last supposition could be that the Veteran cut the crown to give a 1st type-look to his LoH cross. But why let King Henri IV?

Regards

Bison

Other possibility here... But purely hypothetical.

The owner might've removed the crown himself. Many St Helena medals had the small cross atop the crown broken off by the recipients because after the horrible defeats of the Grande Arm?e, they said " there cannot be a God" and simply snapped them off.

Maybe this person really did receive a "Monarchie de juillet" LoH and simply removed the crown during the "2nd Republic" period to match (center disc not withstanding) what was being bestowed then? Like I said, purely hypothetical.

In any case, it doesn't change the fact that this set for sale is wrong.