News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting French Orders & Decorations Site

Tim B

Thought I would post a link to a rather detailed informational site (in French only) for those collectors seeking additional information on the different French awards.

http://www.france-phaleristique.com/

Shows history, variations for the different eras, and photos of the awards. In some cases, even shows when the award was given out. The section on Fourrageres was pretty interesting; discusses what units received the award, type of fourragere, and when.

May be old news for some, but I think many will find it interesting to some point. Especially nice if you can read French (I can't) :( . Enjoy! :cheers:

Tim

I meant to add; it also gives detailed information on the specifications of the award, size dimensions, weight, etc.

Edited by Tim B

Tim

There is some French members in the club able to help you, if needed.

This web site is really a reference for the French Orders, Decorations and Medals.

There is also a French Forum, with a part in English : http://zitocland.forumpro.fr/forum.htm

It is probably the most serious and expert Forum in France about medals.

Subscription is totally free.

Regards

Bison

Hi Bison!

Yes, I found a couple of sites the other day when I was clearing out all the old "favorite" links. Really posted it for the newbies (like me :rolleyes: ) that would be just starting out and not really knowing where to go or have to ask every little mundane question here. This way, you have to kind of do your own leg work, at least to some extent.

Here's another site, in English and he also covers Belgian and English awards.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/foreigngu...rance_index.htm

Tim

Well, not the first time that a site didn't get everything correct, but overall, I think a beginning collector can glean a lot of good information from here. At least some good photos and general info for sure! :cheers:

Tim

Yes, I was a little bit severe! I apologize. :catjava:

This site is presenting excellent pics and overviews on French medals and decorations. It is rare to find such detailed informations. And you are right, especially in this domain, nothing can be totally perfect.

This is a very useful website for French medals.

:cheeky:

Don't worry, I didn't take offense, its not my site! :P

Still, with so many sites dedicated to German/Russian/American decorations, it is nice to see a collector have more than just some token information on French & Belgian (& English) decorations for a change. Starting out, there just isn't that much in one location that shows good PICS, description, history and other nice to know information on the various awards.

I have to give the guy credit, even if he doesn't get it all 100% correct. For a beginner in the (Belgian/French) field, like me, it's a great one-stop to get the basics. From there, then the forums (mainly this one) is where you get the nitty-gritty by confirming and asking questions to more seasoned collectors. :cheers:

I appreciate everybodies help, epecially if it saves me money and allows me to collect nice items that are what I think they are.

Thanks again!

Tim

The webmaster is Marc Champenois. He's very pleasant to chat with and incredibly knowledgeable on French awards from all periods. He's a vet from the French service presently living in the South seas... (Lucky B... ;) )

Any data/pics you might have that would benefit his site he will openly and thankfully accept and even list you as a benefactor.

Don't hesitate to contact him, like I said, he's a pleasure to deal with.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would post a link to a rather detailed informational site (in French only) for those collectors seeking additional information on the different French awards.

http://www.france-phaleristique.com/

Shows history, variations for the different eras, and photos of the awards. In some cases, even shows when the award was given out. The section on Fourrageres was pretty interesting; discusses what units received the award, type of fourragere, and when..

Thanks for this, Tim,

The site led me to an order of precedence (or rather two such lists):

-

Ordre de port des principales décorations françaises portées par un militaire

While they are similar, they are not exactly the same. Further, they don't list some of the ODM I have. I'm trying to re-organize my display of French ODM to show them in correct precedence for he military, and would appreciate information from members on where in the list the following should go:

1) FRANCE - Croix du Merite Militaire, w/rosette, Mint, Arthus Bertrand, Paris,7/88

2) FRANCE – Medaille des Engages Volontaires, w/bar Engage Volontaire, MintArthus Bertrand, Paris, 7/88

3) FRANCE- Order du Merite Combatant (Veteran's Service), Chevalier, VF, Silver & enamel, R Williams, Melbourne,4/88

4) FRANCE - Medaille Commemorative du Verdun, Mt. Vernon, NY, 1966

5) FRANCE - Medaille des Prisonniers Civils, Deportes et Otges de la Grande Guerre 1914- 1918

6) FRANCE - Medaille Internes de la Resistance, Mt. Vernon, NY, 1966Orders of wearOrders of wear

7) FRANCE - Medaille Internes Politiques, Mt. Vernon, NY, 1966

Just to be clear, I need to integrate these medals into the others which have already gotten into an order of precedence. I can provide photographs in case there is any questions of identification.

Many thanks,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh