News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honor questions

Garth Thompson

I recently aquired this 3/4th size (46 x 33 mm) LoH from the 2nd Republic Third period. I have a couple of questions. First the legend on the obverse of the full size medal is NAPOLEON EMPEREUR DES FRANCAIS. This medal has the legend NAPOLEON EMP. DES FRANCAIS. I'm guessing the abreviation was used due to the smaller size or is this a known variation in the legend.

Secondly, why is there a 3/4 size medal? Most countries use just a full size and miniatures. There seems to be three sizes with French medals; a full size, a 3/4 size and a miniature. Can anyone tell me why?

Thank you for any answers

Garth

Garth,

There are many sizes for the L?gion d'honneur!

As far as it was mandatory to wear permanently this order, the jewellers made several sizes to be worn on civilian clothes. The full size was always worn in uniform (except on spencer). In fact, it was only a question of elegance and 'coquetterie', I would say.

Therefore, we find 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 size medals. They were made for civilian dress.

Here is a catalog from 1900 with different choices :

And an example of IIIrd Republic full and 3/4 size in gold :

Nowadays, we do not find this kind of sizes, but for women in the ranks of Grand Officier and Grand Croix which are still 3/4 size.

I hope this answers your question...

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison