News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is my first post, hope I've got it right.

I have a pair of WW2 naval daggers both reputedly from the same officer, one WKC, one ORIGINAL EICHORN

both have deeply etched blades with entwined dolphins etc. the background to the etching on both is a dark charcoal colour that renders the bright parts very clear.The standard of the workmanship is very similar but the blades are a different size.

Here is where I need some help, the reverse side of the Eichorn blade is etched (rather than engraved):- " W. KLIEST // O.b. Masch" Is this the craftsman who made the dagger, or the etcher or more likely the officer who owned the dagger(s) If the original owner can we trace him.

Gordon

Here is where I need some help, the reverse side of the Eichorn blade is etched (rather than engraved):- " W. KLIEST // O.b. Masch" Is this the craftsman who made the dagger, or the etcher or more likely the officer who owned the dagger(s) If the original owner can we trace him.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Almost certainly the name of the original owner, but not an officer I'm afraid, Ob Masch is the abbreviated form of the rank Obermaschinist. This is the equivalent of a Warrant Officer. They were entitled to wear the dagger, but without the knot worn by officers.

However, you may well be on to a winner here as there is a W.Kliest with the rank of Obermaschinist who served on U-71. The boat survived the war to be scuttled in 1945 so Kliest may well also have survived. Needless to say, a dagger attributable to a -Boat crewman is very desirable.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gordon

Thanks for your reply, I got that real buzz all us collectors get when there is something special about the latest piece. I am not a collector of daggers, wellI wasn't till now.

As a medal collector I always like to get some background about the 'man'. I have been finding some good stuff on U-71 but how can I get a copy of the crew list for U-71, and can you recommed a researcher who can access the German Archives and get me copies of his service records.

Thanks for your time

Gordon

Edited by steelbonnet

This has been confused making TWO threads instead of one.

Photos:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38186

show the name as the more normal "Kleist" and NOT "Kliest" so not that person at all.

My typo in my earlier reply, the Obermaschinist on U-71 was Walter Kleist, so still a candidate for the original owner of the dagger.