News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ROYAL NAVY STAFF OF AUTHORITY

I often wonder why the Naval and RAF sub-forums don't get more posts ? I have seen other posts from ex-Naval and Marine members - surely, you all have interesting photos of your ships and deployments? May I suggest a few topics, that I know I, would find of interest - yet know nothing about.

Modern quick firing guns - no major ships seem to carry 'proper' guns now. Ballistic missiles - why can't a ship to ship, be used against shore or planes ? I read that Britain is building a new aircraft carrier - yet nothing seems to be in the papers. When is it due - how big will it be - and, what will it fly (and don't you dare reply - planes !!) The modern subjects are endless...

O.K. - three weeks since the last post, so I'm going to fill the gap. This item dates back to the early days of the British Navy - sailing ships , with all of their ropes needed something to prise ropes apart - it was called a FID and came to point that could be pushed into the knot to loosen it free.

They were often also, carried as a personal protection weapon on board ship, by warrant officers - such as the Bosun. They were usually of wood.

With the 1790's came an enormous expansion of the British Navy , to deal with Napoleon and his European conquests. There can be no doubt that it was only England's sea supremacy which saved us from invasion. The problem was - that in 1800 - the population of England, Wales and Scotland numbered under 15 million people - and those who wanted to be in the Army or, Navy had probably already joined. One way of increasing the numbers of seamen, was that Magistrates gave criminals the choice of Transportation, prison or, the Navy - usually they took the worst decision and joined the Navy.

Parliament gave authority for Press Ganging - or, forced joining and parties of seamen scoured the Countryside looking to 'impress' (or, make join) unfortunate town and country people. Parties of press gang also boarded incoming merchant ships and seized men - although , they were supposed to be exempt. These parties of seamen would be under an officer or, a warrant officer - sometimes both. Also - dependent on the Captain - the wt. officer carried a fid with the name of the ship - or, the Naval fouled anchor. This was an authority, as well as a weapon.

The FID shown here is the only one known to be made from a walrus tusk - although, I expect, there were other examples. The Naval fouled anchor was probably made on board from melted silver coins. A very rare example.

I mentioned Walrus ivory - that and elephant ivory, were the only two forms acknowledged by the British Govt. and you had to pay a special import tax on them. The Ivory warehouse was at St. Katherine's Dock - next to Tower Bridge - and all ivory had to go there first. This unusual tipstaff was for the Constable of the Ivory House and is rare in that the Crown is of Walrus and the handle of Elephant. Probably , about 1800 - for George 3rd. and has the Arms of the City of London on the wooden shaft.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

There is one further item that I will add to this post. That is the Admiralty Oar. Carried only by a few senior police - mainly from pre-1829 - and officials of the Admiralty Courts , the oar is usually within the casing of a silver tipstaff - surmounted by the Royal Crown. When used the crown is usually unscrewed, put inside the casing - and the oar screwed into it's place. With this authority any ship could be seized in British - and our Colonies overseas - waters. In emergency the tipstaff (as the official was called ) could summon help from any British warship - and this would be given immediately. Certainly, one of the strongest symbols ever created.

Some years ago the Greenwich Maritime Museum, published a booklet on Admiralty Oars and it showed the numbers, still known, to be under 20 ! At one time I had about 5 - however, I have sold most of them - have one very special one for the High Constable of Liverpool, but I don't have a picture here. What I am showing, as an example, is an oar for a water bailiff. He would have had control over rivers and inland waterways and this small oar -about 4 inches (10cm) hung from a chain around his neck. The crown is for George 4th. - it has the Admiralty fouled anchor, to show authority over water and has the number 4 beneath. This was King George 4th. - 1820 - 1830.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton