News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Federal Border Service Of The RF Is No More

TacHel

The Federal Border Service of Russia is no more.

Quick history

-30 December 1993 - "un posted decree 2318" President Yeltsin abolishes the Border Troops of the Security Ministry and establishes the General Command of the Russian Federation Border Troops.

-30 December 1994 – Renamed Federal Border Service of Russia.

-2002/2003 – Renamed Border Service of the Russian Federation.

-11 March 2003, by decree 308, President Putin transfers the Border Service of the Russian Federation into the Federal Security Service (FSB).

So the Federal Border Service of Russia is no more, it is a sub department of the FSB called the Border Service of Russia's FSB ( Пограничной службы ФСБ России).

What does this mean for collectors? It means an entirely new set of decorations and medals bearing the emblem of the new service such as the Cross for service in the Far East seen blow.

Edited by TacHel

Conversely, I've also just heard them called the 'FSB Border Service' or 'FSB Border Troops' (ala the old 'KGB Border Troops' convention). Also does a bit to preserve the western acronym 'FBS', swapping the 'Federal' for 'FSB'. :cheers:

There's no longer a Tajikistan service medal/cross because the FBS pulled out of there in 2003-4, though I wonder if there'll be a new medal for service in Georgia (Abkhazia and South Ossetia) where Border Troops deployed in May (?).

There's no longer a Tajikistan service medal/cross because the FBS pulled out of there in 2003-4, though I wonder if there'll be a new medal for service in Georgia (Abkhazia and South Ossetia) where Border Troops deployed in May (?).

Good question, I'll keep my eyes open!

And if you find out which decorations they now use (medals or crosses with new emblem), please let me know.