News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gas Service Chevrons

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Although not in the shape of usual chevrons, these discs for Private First Class, Gas Service, 1917-1920, would have been considered chevrons for all practical purposes. Cat%20Scratch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California (hhbooker2@yahoo.com) Hesitated giving these away to serious chevron collectors as their quality is often so poor and some were eatten by moths, not making them desireable for a collection on display. Had second thoughts about destroying them so the recipient would not be disappointed at their detrioration? catjava.gif

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I've never seen the like! What is the creature between the shells? It looks like a winged pegasus horse, or is it supposed to be a phoenix? Neither bring "gas" to mind directly.

My late friend David S would have enjoyed these. :cheers:

This guys wouldn't have been very popular-- certainly not with anyone who had served at the front. :speechless1:

Cat Scratch.gif I've never seen the like! What is the creature between the shells? It looks like a winged pegasus horse, or is it supposed to be a phoenix? Neither bring "gas" to mind directly.

My late friend David S would have enjoyed these. cheers.gif

This guys wouldn't have been very popular-- certainly not with anyone who had served at the front. speechless1.gif

Greetings & Salutations! Dave S. as in my friend, David Melvin Shores of Maryland? After Dave Shores died, got a letter from his two daughters and they were trying to sell his collection, he wanted the United States Navy to get it, last time he mentioned it? That is probably a dragon's head, the fire-breathing type? Actually the least popular troops worked for "Grave's Registration" which is under the Quarter Master Corps, often non-white soldiers tasked for the job of picking up bodies. Navy Corpsmen are the people who scrape the bulkheads of ship's that an enemy torpedo or bomb killed men when it entered the vessell, not a fun job! Permanent Latine Orderly like "Commando" Kelly who held off a platoon of Waffen-SS men in Italy had a very terrbiile job digging slit treaches and filling in the old ones. After they executed the nazi war criminals and created them, they threw their ashes in a slit-trench to be filled in, hard to find the graves of folks like Herman Goering? Cat%20Scratch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga

:Cat-Scratch: I've never seen the like! What is the creature between the shells? It looks like a winged pegasus horse, or is it supposed to be a phoenix? Neither bring "gas" to mind directly.

My late friend David S would have enjoyed these. :cheers:

This guys wouldn't have been very popular-- certainly not with anyone who had served at the front. :speechless1:

The creature is a mythological griffin (griffon, gryphon), which had the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. It has long been associated with the heraldry of the U.S. Chemical Warfare Service.