News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This nice photo was made in Funchal Madeira.

Can anybody tell me what rank the men have? Also the tallyband? I can read .....WEHR.ABTEILUNG

Thank you V.

PS: Sorry for the bad scans, its not a EPSON ;)

Edited by Vetinari

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: What a VERY odd photo! :speechless1:

1) Someone from a Küstenwehr Abteilung had no business being aboard ship far far away from the German coast!

2) The Oberbootsmannsmaat isn't wearing a white topped cap

3) The Deckoffizier (or is he a Feldwebel? There appear to be Petty Officer stripes on his officer's style coat, but not the collar patches of a Feldwebel..... IS wearing hot weather white cap top BUT he is clutching a studio prop army sword without hangers on the wrong side!

Can you read the YEAR?

I almost wonder whether both are holidaying civilians dressed up completely in studio "fancy dress costumes" like THIS happy bunch of army Fußartillerie regiment oficers before the war:

These were all army officers, yet three are dressed as naval Petty Officers, one is in an army enlisted man's partial uniform... and the less said about the "lady" the better!!!! :cheeky:

Guest Rick Research

I thought it was the Reichsmarine "chicken on a platter" as well until I saw the Imperial Deckoffiziere cap... then I thought it was just a blur. But obviously BOTH cannot be in the same photo-- certainly not a Reichsmarine cap on a Kaiserliche Marine jacket so...

I think it is a "funny foto" and NOT a military portrait at all.