News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Beautiful little chain, but as is ALWAYS the case with mini chains...

I'm not surethat we can accept automatically that what is there ALL belongs.

Every single thing is consistent with a highly decorated NCO

except

the Prussian observers badge-- which was only given to officers.

MIGHT have been possible... but nobody springs to mind-- will have to look through O'Connor and see if anybody with that length of career NCO status crossed the commissioned officer barrier while the war was still going on.

Guest Rick Research

OK, I'm back from looking through Neal's coverage of aviation GMVK winners. As NCOs, sometimes there is literally nothing "known" on them-- but

1) all appear to have been pilots

2) Prussian/navy long service awards wre suspended for the duration of the war, so that the XV Years Service Cross could only have been issued

a) pre-1915-- in which case with double wartime it would be an XXV in 1920 and NO aviation recipient was THAT old or

b) it is a 1920 award...

in which case the wartime OFFICERS ONLY army observer badge could NOT have been awarded to someone still an NCO.

So, barring some sort of literally freakish overlooked obscure career-- this is a perfectly fine looking chain that has had something (foreign WW1?) removed in last place and "jazzed up" with a flying badge.

Which is why I do not like mini chains.

Give me sewn together ribbons,every time. :catjava:

:beer: