News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Valeur et Discipline

avadski

It's a "Médaille Militaire" (Military Medal). Second only to the "Légion d'Honneur" (Legion of Honnor) in the French order of precedence when it was created. (It was later bumped down a notch by the Ordre de la Libération).

Instituted in1852 by Napoleon III. The Military Medal is issued to any non-commissioned officer or enlisted personnel who distinguishes himself by acts of bravery in action against an enemy force. Commissioned officers are not eligible. An interesting feature of this medal is that it is also the supreme award for leadership, being awarded to generals and admirals who had been commanders-in-chief.

This particular example dates from the 4th Republic, 1946-1958. You can tell from the single star at the bottom of the obverse. (5th rep has 3 stars, 3rd rep has "1870")

It's in good shape and with the case. As for value... You might be a bit disappointed. The only ones I've seen with any real value were from the 2nd Empire with the Imperial Eagle on top (in lieu of the breast plate and weapons on the suspension) with Napoleon III's face.

Below are the 3 other models described above. Left to right, 2nd Empire, 3rd Republic, 5th Republic.

Edited by TacHel

Hello TacHel,

thank you for the info. I don't have this medal and have no intention to buy it (i'm into WW1 bavarian stuff). I've just seen it for sale for some 50 EUR and was curious what was it awarded for etc.

Thanks again for the info :lol: