News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unmarked Type 30 Bayonet

Type30collector

I have an unmarked type 30, variation A, standard size, hooked guard, wood grips, screws with oval nuts, contoured handle, deep fullered blade. The scabbard is a standard issue metal. This bayonet has no arsenal marks at all, and the only markings are S319 on the end of the pommel. So far, I'm told that it's a production blade, not a trainer, possibly a prototype and that it might have been a blade sent to Siam. I wouldn't have expected to see "S" in the serial numbers coming out of Japan prior to WWII.

Does anyone have more information?

Thanks!

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

No help on the "S" - but it sure looks like a trainer to me, or maybe could be a Chinese-made copy. Prototype I doubt (at least it doesn't look like prototype photos that I've seen). Certainly not "standard" production Army issue Type 30, too crude. Have you test-mounted it to an Arisaka rifle?

No help on the "S" - but it sure looks like a trainer to me, or maybe could be a Chinese-made copy. Prototype I doubt (at least it doesn't look like prototype photos that I've seen). Certainly not "standard" production Army issue Type 30, too crude. Have you test-mounted it to an Arisaka rifle?

No I haven't mounted it. I'm about four states away from the bayonet at the moment.

I thought it was a trainer initially, but the S319 is making me wonder. I found a reference somewhere to arsenal 60 in China, but there's no markings.

My best lead on the "S" so far is this site: http://www.conknet.com/~mrj/other.htm

where the Finnish Civil Guard Type 30 rifles are said to have been stamped with an S and a four digit number

That is interesting. Now that I've checked things a bit more closely, Labar (Bayonets of Japan) does indeed reference a Finnish-use Type 30, and it happens to be stamped S361 - However, it is on one of the grips along with other marks on the other grip, and several marks on the pommel as well. It is a standard production Tokyo/Koishikawa-made bayonet though - all normal production T30 components.

I don't know that the Finn Civil Guard would have incorporated trainers, or that they would even have come across any when they got them from the Russian. Anything is possible I suppose!! You should post pics over on the Japanese forums at gunboards.com - if anybody knows, it will be one of those members without a doubt!