News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M42 Helmet Single Decal Field Painted

Hello everyone,

Well, I did some studying of helmets over the last couple months and I think I picked up a real nice original example of a combat used M42 single-decal helmet. The maker is ET and the size is 66 (marked ET66 on inside of helmet). The batch number is 1831, so a relatively early M42 (early enough to have a decal I believe). It was definitely painted with the rough textured field paint to cut down on glare etc in the field. The Wehrmacht decal is still visible but very scuffed and gouged and partly painted over with the field paint. From what I have gathered this is a proper texture and colour for it to be a wartime repaint, so please confirm or deny this if possible as this was the main reason I bought it, as it appears to be a good combat worn helmet. The liner has been cut out but the liner fixture and traces of original leather remain intact. Also, the chinstrap catch is still there but the strap is long gone. Please feel free to comment and fill in more details if you have them. Here are a few pics..

Thanks for looking,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

Like my M34 Police helmet I posted a while ago this helmet hasn't seemed to garnish much interest here on the GMIC yet either, maybe it just slipped through the cracks :ninja:

Any comments would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

I'm interested in the lids you've posted, I just don't know much about them.

I have three M42's, two are no-decals, one of which is a partcularly high number & the third isa SD LW, & I have a couple of FP, one of which is a DD with comb & neckguard, the other a sinfgle slanted national shield decal manufactured May 1934, so a nice early one. That one has "plugs" over the slots for the comb fitting.

Looks OK to me. Unfortunatly someone has "dug out" the decal. i.e. removed the covering paint.

A big no no in todays collecting circles.

But I tried it in my youth!

Regards,

Pete

Edited by wood