News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PURPORTED Swedish Btn CO Northumberland Fusiliers WW1

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Gentleman: could anyone with records of battalion commanders in that regiment and knowledge of its cap badge please check out this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39260

I am dubious in the extreme. :beer:

The Cap Badge is certainly that of a Fusilier regiment.

He is shown in "The Times" as being given command ofthe 11th Btn Northumberland Fusiliesr on its Formation.

In an entry in "The Times" dated 28th November 1935 he is shown as present at a dinner given by the Anglo-Swedish Society to honour the Crown Prince and Princess of Sweden's trip to England.

THe Medal Index Card shows him as having received the 1014-15 Star, BWM,Victory medal giving his Regiment as 11th Northumberland Fusiliers.

Unfortunately there is no entry for him in the 1920 or 1924 Officers Services.

This is brief resume of the battalion he command, but sadly all of my notes regarding the battalion are in the UK. The battalion served alongside the 10th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers in 68th Bde, 23rd Division, but neither battalion completed a War History during the post-war year. A history of 23rd Division was produced, but is extremely rare to get hold of, which contains many references to the battalions that served with it and the actions they took part in. Both battalion War Diaries also survive.

11th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Newcastle in September 1914 as part of Kitcheners 3rd New Army and attached to 68th Brigade, 23rd Division. Trained in Southern England before landing in France August 1915.

Moved to Italy with the Division in November 1917 after taking part in the Battle of Passchendaele.

Although I haven't got my notes here believe they were also at Loos in 1915 and then the Somme in 1916.

He must have been one hell of a C.O. and being given command of a British battalion during war time wasn't a matter to be taken likely by the War Office, so he must have had the right credentials for the battalion to be entrusted to him.

Edited by Graham Stewart