News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Indian Marine Uniform

I was recently sent the attached photo of a Sub Lieut of the RIM in full uniform. I've never seen a similar photo before. I thought it might be of interest to members as it clearly shows distinctive cuff pattern used by the Royal Indian Marine.

However service in the RIM wasn't the long term career for this man. He joined in 1907 but resigned after three years. He then served in the R Innis Fus in WWI. See attached photo of him as a Lt. Note he is wearing the Africa General Service Medal ribbon (Somaliland 1908-10) which he managed to earn during his short period in the RIM.

I wonder if more info. could be given on this unit ? I am aware that the Hon. East India Company had their own Navy - The Bombay Marine and also, that they had their own Marine Force to fight on board these ships - but, I have never heard of the Royal Indian Marine...